Ryzen 5 5600X,MSI B550 only 1 RAM slot working

rhodos

Hi folks, hope you can help.

I've just put together my first build in a very long time. Its a 5600X in a MSI Mortor B550 board.
I used Curcial ballistix memory (2x 8G).

On boot the MB has LED indicators for any issues and with both sticks in slots 2 and 4 it failed on DRAM.
Both sticks work fine as a single stick in Slot 1 or 2 and as 1 and 2, but anything in 3 or 4 (single or as a pair) fails,
Slot 1 only = ok
Slot 2 only = ok
Slot 1 + 2 = ok
Any other combination fails.

So I thought it must be the memory and orderd another matched set (2x8G) - and I get the same.

Before I order a replacement MB I've ordered a replacement 5600X to see if that bizarrely addresses The replacement 5600X has been fitted and same problem.

Motherboard issue is my current thinking.

MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE for any thoughts.

Last edited:

next010

Distinguished Member
It's normal on MSI B550 boards to only boot with DIMMA2 if using a single stick, then for dual channel you insert the next RAM into DIMMB2, or use all 4 slots.

Typically with MSI its from left to right
DIMMA1-DIMMA2-DIMMB1-DIMMB2

Check the manual for your model to confirm above, and I assume you have updated the firmware of the motherboard, try doing a factory reset of the UEFI then insert the 2 or 4 RAM sticks.

Some of the crucial ballistix modules are on the MSI compatibility list (select memory), I'd double check the part numbers against that list.

Your right But OP mentions trying that. He is trying the slots mentioned in the manual for that motherboard.

On boot the MB has LED indicators for any issues and with both sticks in slots 2 and 4 it failed on DRAM

Firmware update is a good idea though.

Got any mates who can lend you 2 similar but different DIMMs to test if you have a RAM incompatibility ?

rhodos

Thanks folks.
The RAM is on the compat list.
Note a little more testing today shows that it works with RAM in 1 & 2. Or just 1, or just 2.
I had been trying for 1+3 or 2+4 to get dual channel but 1+3 fails, 2+4 fails, 3 alone fails and 4 alone fails.
I have tried with a completely different set of RAM (same model) and exactly same issue.

Replacement CPU arrives later today and if that doesnt fix it I will replace the MB (obviously a pain in the butt).

MB is on latest firmware and all 4 sticks (orginal and replacement) work in either of slot 1 or slot 2, but none of them work in slot 3 or 4. :)

Looking at the Amzon reviews of this MB I see someone had exactly this same issue; I do wonder if they have just sent the same board out.

rhodos

Just to add to this.
I have now tried with replacement memory and a replacement CPU and in both cases the same result.
Thus I believe the issue to be the MB.

Shame. I could live with 16G as-is but of course its only single channel (whats that 5% issue?) and when I want 32G I have to buy 2x16G rather than just another 2x8G but its such a bind having to spend another Saturday unbuilding and rebuilding it.

GreyMutton

I had the same issue with my first amd build last year. Was given advice on this forum to reseat the CPU and it solved the problem. I'd give that a try.

rhodos

I had the same issue with my first amd build last year. Was given advice on this forum to reseat the CPU and it solved the problem. I'd give that a try.
Thanks for that. I had re-seated the orginal CPU twice in addition to initial install. I've now put in the replacement CPU and have exactly same issue, i.e. slots 1 and 2 work with one or two sticks, slots 3 and 4 dont work with either 1 of both sticks in.
I've ordered the same MB from the big A again. Just glad their returns policy is great - but then again I've only had it a week.

GreyMutton

Thanks for that. I had re-seated the orginal CPU twice in addition to initial install. I've now put in the replacement CPU and have exactly same issue, i.e. slots 1 and 2 work with one or two sticks, slots 3 and 4 dont work with either 1 of both sticks in.
I've ordered the same MB from the big A again. Just glad their returns policy is great - but then again I've only had it a week.
Ah fair enough, the joys of PC building!

Hope its sorted soon for you mate 👍

roba66

Novice Member
I have the same problem, I am only using one stick now. I think AMD has work to do, making these MB work is their problem.
Can you let us know if you got the memory working?

rhodos

Hi. The problem was the Motherboard.
I tried rebuild = same problem
New CPU = same problem
New memory = same problem

New motherboard = NO problem :)

Somehow the original motherboard just wouldn't work with anything more than one stick of memory. The replacement was the same brand and model and on the same BIOS with the same settings and I used the same CPU and memory that failed on the original board.

roba66

Novice Member
Hi. The problem was the Motherboard.
I tried rebuild = same problem
New CPU = same problem
New memory = same problem

New motherboard = NO problem :)

Somehow the original motherboard just wouldn't work with anything more than one stick of memory. The replacement was the same brand and model and on the same BIOS with the same settings and I used the same CPU and memory that failed on the original board.
Thanks Rhodos,
I seem to be having better luck now. When I took out 1 stick & reset the CMOS and it worked, then I put in 2 sticks in the B slots, that worked. then I moved one to the upper A slot and it still works. This is a listed type of memory. So maybe resetting CMOS and going to defaults is what did it.
Pretty flakey, not sure if it will last, the BIOS reset did something so the power button is not being recognized now. But sleep works, it didn't before.
I have 2 boards, neither would recognize my 1660 graphics card, I think AMD board qualification is not so good. This took too much time & it seems like there are a lot of whizzy choices in the BIOS but it isn't reliable.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom