Question Ryzen 3 1200 + Radeon card or Ryzen 3 2200G

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by harry66, Mar 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. harry66

harry66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Hi all,
    I used to build my own PCs back in the day, but have not done so for over 10 years now and so am completely out of sync with the current desktop technology.
    My son wants to upgrade my 10 yr old but I want to keep the cost down to a minimum.
    I have an old Antec Minuet 350 case which I am hoping to re-use.
    The current setup is a Athlon X4 II 605e with 8GB RAM + fanless Radeon R7 240 (I was trying to build a near silent PC).

The plan is to get a cheap B350 based Mobo and get a lower end Ryzen 3 CPU and re-use the R7 card.
    But based on my googling it seems that the Ryzen 3 2200G which costs the same as the Ryzen 3 1200, will offer better Graphics performance with the built in RX Vega 8 than Ryzen 3 1200 + R7 card...
    This seems a bit hard to believe from a cost perspective - how can a CPU costing the same provide better performance than a same cost CPU + dedicated graphics card? It seems the only benefit the 1200 has over the 2200G is an extra 4MB of L2 cache...

Have I got the wrong end of the stick with my googling?

Note, my son already has a PS4 - so he wont be doing much gaming on the upgraded PC. He has some Steam games - which run fine on the current 10yr old setup. Mostly he just wants to replace his ageing Lenovo Thinkcentre that he uses for homework, surfing etc.

Any informed input appreciated. Thanks!

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,477
    Integrated GPUs are built into the CPU these days, so they're no longer limited by the cruder manufacturing and infrequent updates that used to make them the choice of last resort when they were part of the motherboard chipset. They may not be as powerful as a mid-range dedicated card due to the lower heat output, but they are cutting edge.

They're preferable to the old dedicated GPU designs kept around at the low end for server/multi-monitor use like the R7 240 from 2013.

As for the pricing, raven ridge is a similar size to summit ridge, the GPU takes up similar space to the extra cores and cache.

That still doesn't answer the question - raven ridge is still cheaper on average - but presumably AMD are getting it made cheaply enough that they still expect to make profit on these mainstream CPUs.

3. offitmassive

offitmassive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    Think it depends on the games too. You're limited to 2gb vram with the integrated gpus on the 2200g. And you'll also need more faster ram (which further increases costs) as the igpu share the ram and depends on this to get decent frame rates. They won't play the latest games 60+fps at 1080p but will do fine at medium settings at 30fps.

As you already have the R7 card, I'd go the 1200 route with the slightly less and slower ram to keep costs down

4. harry66

harry66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Sorry for the later reply - but thanks for the input. Probably going to hang fire - to see if the prices drop further when the newer CPUs are launched...
    Hopefully go for the Ryzen 5 2400G if the price gets a bit closer to the £100 mark...