1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rytek or Datawrite DVD-R Discs for compatibility?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by CHR1S, Dec 15, 2004.

1. CHR1S

CHR1S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the Fuji (Datawrite) or GO5 (Rytek) the most compatible?

Thoughts please

2. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I prefere the Ritek(05) to be honest, in the last 75 discs I've never had a 'beer mat' amongst them. Using the 8x ARITA DVD-R variety at the moment. (Be ready for the shocking pink colour of the disc though :eek: )

On the plus side with my Pioneer 108 DVD-RW (which is 16X write but there's no media to go with it :mad: ) I can get the X8 Riteks to burn at 12X ;) - shows how good a disc is when they can be pushed a little futher...............

3. OldSkoO1

OldSkoO1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I always use Riteks on my PC because of how well they served me throughout the last year or so.

However, ive just bought a new dvd recorder for my tv and im having problems with compatibilty. Sorry to hijack your thread.

When you mention compatibilty do you mean any disc will record onto in the recorder but some of the less compatible discs will fail to play on the stand alone players... Is this correct?

Thanks!! :)

4. CHR1S

CHR1S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for confusion - I meant compatability with DVD Recorders - Especially the Panasonic E55, had problems with Datawrite 4x 'Classic' DVD-R initially not finalising properly and freezing on another DVD Player (see other thread) which uses the Fuji dye. I am just wondering if the GO4 Dye is more compatible with the E55?

Chris

5. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This question is one of the most frequently asked and there is not really a definitive answer as different machines like different dyes. To make the problem worse, I don't know of a HD/DVD machine that can have the firmware in the DVD drive updated with the burn data of newer discs. Personally, I use the Panasonic or Taiyo Yuden discs. They cost more but you can get them in bulk packs and I find they work on everything I have which is more than can be said for many other cheaper brands. DVD drives in PC's will often handle a greater range of dyes simply because the firmware can be updated easily even by a relative novice - unfortunately, HD/DVD makers don't seem to be so helpful. I have considered removing the DVD drive from an HD/DVD machine and updating the firmware by connecting the drive to the PC. I have not risked it as it may not be possible to save/restore the original DVD firmware and the machine may not want to talk to a "later" version. Also some DVD drives in HD/DVD machines are "OEM" versions with non-standard firmware. As you can realise, it is a bit of minefield. Some web site resellers offer "sample" packs where you can buy 5 or 10 different discs to try out to see what you are happiest with.