RYSE

lungwun

Further information about Xbox One exclusive 'Ryse' and its E3 screening has been released to the press

Developing.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Se777eN

Distinguished Member
Was just about to post this :D

paul1979

Distinguished Member
oh man.... like i have just watched the vid on utub for this and i really like the idea of the game, but then the idea of having to stand so i can kick, and move so much just seem like hard work.... i game at night and sit either on my bean bag or sofa and totaly veg to play games.... this seems like a work out.

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
Remember watching this when it was shown a couple of years ago. Will be interesting to see how it's improved from the 360 video above. I do tend to get boredom this type of game pretty quickly though. Nature it look like good fun doing all the kicking and slashing but that's all these games end up being - an on rails affair where people come upto you and you defend, slash/headbutt/kick etc.

willp2003

Whilst it may appeal to some, that's not for me. Like the guy above, I'll go to the gym if I want to have a work out.

Steve Kelly

all the kinect/exercise business, mate!

I just want to (continue to) sit on my bed cross-legged & bent-backed when I'm kicking ass!

where I play (bedroom, not lounge), I aint got room for all that gubbins

Last edited:

Mr Original

If you read the last line on the poster it says...

"Controller-based gameplay enhanced by Kinect"

Seems Crytek have changed their approach when it comes to using Kinect.

lungwun

I Spiritus I

I'm really looking forward to this!

Craigy

Distinguished Member
I think it looks absolutely terrible, not in terms of graphics which are lovely but in terms of the repetitive QTE events, 2 of which were repeated during the reveal, hopefully it has more to it.

amardilo

Distinguished Member
I was hoping for combat more a long the lines of God of War or Ninja Gaiden but this seems a lot slower and not as fluid. I think the QTEs are only finishers but they do make the game look very slow paced.

Se777eN

Distinguished Member
Am another looking forward to this :smashin:

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
I've never been a fan of these 'type' of fames (in honesty, I'm not sure what 'type' of game it is!), but I'm actually quite intruiged by this now...

NMF

TBH the beach bit at the demo made me think of the ww11 game where you storm the beaches on d day.
Then you have to take a turret out been done loads of times before.Why could you not make your own way in in stead of bog standard on rails stuff.
Nice graphics but gameplay looked pretty average.

swiftpete

Distinguished Member
Looked like a sequence of quick time events. Good graphics but rubbish game play. I've played several games that have a good dynamic when characters are attacking you, where you can dodge their attacks etc then hit them. Condemned 2 was good for this, even resi evil 6 is pretty good for this. Bo need for this qte rubbish.

kav

Distinguished Member
I thought it was already confirmed it's not QTEs? My understanding is it's more like the combat in Rocksteady's Batman games, where pressing the right buttons at the right times grants you cooler combos than just aimlessly pressing buttons.

Corpsical

Oh I do hope your right kav, the game looks great and I've always thought the Roman Empire would make a good combat game ... This forza and dead rising would likely be my day ones, with watchdogs and the division as my other two for the year assuming they are released.

scanz

Distinguished Member
This should clear a few things up regarding the combat and QTEs;

Is Ryse: Son of Rome More Than QTE Combat? - IGN

The melee fighting that began shortly thereafter felt very similar to Batman:ArkhamCity, with the basic principle being to strike with the X button and counter with the shield using the A button. I usually found myself facing at least two enemies at a time, which meant shifting directions with the left stick to block an attack and continue my attack flow. The main difference is that after landing a couple of basic strikes on an enemy a button prompt appears above his head - usually it’d be the B button icon - and when pushed something bloody happens.

Instead of incapacitating thugs with gadgets in the Batman style, you stab them through the neck with a Roman gladius sword. Or throw them on the ground and curb-stomp them. Or just bash their faces in with a shield. I did notice the execution animations repeating a little in the short time I played – more than one barbarian met his end via spontaneous tonsillectomy or by being contextually bashed against a wall when conveniently positioned - so I asked how many we’d see in the final product. “Over 100,” promised the Crytek rep – an answer which left me feeling pretty good about the odds of being continually shocked by new and creative murders. Is it a little macabre to find that entertaining? Sure... and perhaps it's apt that this is a game about a society that treated gladiatorial combat as a sporting event to appease the masses.

These executions aren’t quite quick time events, in that most of them are simply one-button prompts rather than a sequence, and failing them by pushing the wrong button usually still results in a dead barbarian, just with a smaller batch of experience points as a reward. That’s a good touch, since it does away with the frustration repetition of a mandatory sequence and lets the action continue.

avolee

Seems some people were frustrated by this game.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/06/why-ryse-is-the-most-frustrating-game-of-e3/

But Crytek isn’t calling them quicktime events, it’s trying to avoid that term altogether. Crytek just wants every kill to look incredible, to look precise. It’s willing to go to strange lengths to make this happen.

Allow me to explain.

I’m on the battlefield. I’m stomping through the corpses of my comrades swinging my sword at anything that moves. I begin a combo, I slash twice and then whooom slow motion is initiated, **** is about to get ‘cinematic’. A button prompt hovers elusively above the sword I’m about to drive into the throat of my enemy… argh I’m too slow! The prompt flickers, disappears.

I missed it. Damn.

But then somehow, for some reason, I still complete the cinematic ‘kill’.

What?

Maybe it’s a bug I think, but no. Next time I deliberately press the wrong button. The kill goes ahead, no consequences. Then I try hitting no buttons whatsoever. The kill goes ahead. I put the controller on the table in front of me, the kill goes ahead.

What is going on here?

I ask one of the Crytek people hovering at the booth – is this a bug? Why am I completing kills when I hit the wrong button prompt? Or, worse, no button at all. Turns out it was a deliberate design choice.

“We don’t want the player to feel frustrated,” I am told.

Well it didn’t work. I didn’t work at all because I feel frustrated. I am frustrated because I am being denied the opportunity to be frustrated, denied the frustration that will motivate me to learn the game, to adapt.

Worse, I am being denied the visual feedback that informs me what I did correctly and what I did wrong, to the extent that the inputs I do make feel utterly meaningless. The buttons I am pushing do not control the avatar on screen and the disconnect is instantaneous. I am not in full control of what I do; I am not even partially in control.

PlaybookHero

Why Ryse Is The Most Frustrating Game Of E3 | Kotaku Australia

But Crytek isn’t calling them quicktime events, it’s trying to avoid that term altogether. Crytek just wants every kill to look incredible, to look precise. It’s willing to go to strange lengths to make this happen.

Allow me to explain.

I’m on the battlefield. I’m stomping through the corpses of my comrades swinging my sword at anything that moves. I begin a combo, I slash twice and then whooom slow motion is initiated, **** is about to get ‘cinematic’. A button prompt hovers elusively above the sword I’m about to drive into the throat of my enemy… argh I’m too slow! The prompt flickers, disappears.

I missed it. Damn.

What?

Maybe it’s a bug I think, but no. Next time I deliberately press the wrong button. The kill goes ahead, no consequences. Then I try hitting no buttons whatsoever. The kill goes ahead. I put the controller on the table in front of me, the kill goes ahead.

What is going on here?

I ask one of the Crytek people hovering at the booth – is this a bug? Why am I completing kills when I hit the wrong button prompt? Or, worse, no button at all. Turns out it was a deliberate design choice.

Well it didn’t work. I didn’t work at all because I feel frustrated. I am frustrated because I am being denied the opportunity to be frustrated, denied the frustration that will motivate me to learn the game, to adapt.

Worse, I am being denied the visual feedback that informs me what I did correctly and what I did wrong, to the extent that the inputs I do make feel utterly meaningless. The buttons I am pushing do not control the avatar on screen and the disconnect is instantaneous. I am not in full control of what I do; I am not even partially in control.
Don't forget they have to take Kinect into account now... so all your button presses will have 2000% error either way added :laugh:;)

zt1903

Distinguished Member

Why Ryse Is The Most Frustrating Game Of E3 | Kotaku Australia

Allow me to explain.

I missed it. Damn.

What?

What is going on here?

Interesting. I thought the game looked good visually but I was concerned that the QTE-like combat would result in it becoming quite tiresome and quite quickly.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 28th October 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Tom's Thumbs: What is coming to Netflix in November 2020
  • By AVForums
  • Published
Melco anniversary edition N10 library announced
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett