Ryanair car hire.

djbsom

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Afternoon folks, anyone on here hired a car through Ryanair?
I usually use Avis but I've a trip coming up and Ryanair are suggesting I go through them. They don't hire directly but act as brokers.
Anyone with experience?

Every airline will suggest you hire your car 'through ' them.
It's just another revenue stream for them.
If it's cheaper like for like than avis for the same car , why not.

Just did the same with easyjet via europcar. Now arguing with them over a scrape on the alloy they claim my wife did. Fairly sure she didn't and it seems common enough when you Google complaints. We didn't take excess insurance but I've never had a problem with numerous companies I've used.

Lesson learnt, ill be videoing every inch of a hire car in future.

How much extra do they charge when you pick it up for the 'optional' steering wheel? :)

I tend to use Holiday Autos. For the last two holidays it has been cheaper than what the hire company and the airline has offered for the same product.

Cheers,

Nigel

Ok. Well thanks for replies anyway.
Of course all airlines want some commision on add ons but this time Ryanair are flooding my in box with offers on car hire.
I think I'll just stick to my normal practice and go with Avis.
For what it's worth, my experience of decades of car hire abroad have left me with some golden rules -
ALWAYS hire from on-terminal companies. They have higher advertised prices but you end up paying less and encounter less sharp practices.
Avoid companies like SOLMAR, GOLDCAR and EUROPCAR.
ALWAYS pay with a credit card.
ALWAYS video the car before touching it. Also take plenty of photos.

Of course all airlines want some commision on add ons but this time Ryanair are flooding my in box with offers on car hire.
For what it's worth, my experience of decades of car hire abroad have left me with some golden rules -
ALWAYS hire from on-terminal companies. They have higher advertised prices but you end up paying less and encounter less sharp practices.
I disagree.

I hired a mercedes GLA in Feb in Lanzarote it was totally mint, not a scratch and only a few miles on it (can't remember the name of the company but they had a rep in our hotel)

The hotel valet parking guy rubbed it against a pillar (I'm 99% sure he did it) so I got the rep over to have a look. Large scrape all along the front corner. I asked if there was CCTV so we could see what happened and he just said 'relax brother, you're insured, go enjoy your holiday!' It only cost 200 euro's for the week, full insurance, which isn't bad for a merc. No charges were applied so I have to disagree with the above. Just google AVIS reviews abroad and you'll see they are actually one of the worst car hire companies.

I forgot to add,
Always generate the licence check code before you go and keep a note of it but don't volunteer it as it just confuses them. I've never been asked for it.

I also usually use Avis, normally booked through British Airways for the free additional driver and extra Avios. They currently have a 7 days for the price of 5 offer if your dates fit.

I also usually use Avis, normally booked through British Airways for the free additional driver and extra Avios. They currently have a 7 days for the price of 5 offer if your dates fit.
Thanks but no such luck. 5 days from Verona airport for the Italian lakes in October.

Just had a quick blast over to Majorca for 6 days and hired a car from OK rentals via a company here. Rather than putting the deposit on credit card down we took the excess insurance on debit card for 15 euros.
No inspection of car required and when we dropped it off there was no inspection either. I was surprised as on one trip out some bugger hit the car in a car park. Scraped the rear plastic bumper and severe dent in metal panel above.
Company didn't care as we were fully covered. Would definitely do that again.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom