Ryan Air? Or anything other than!

Used them quite a few times and they're basic but fine. The worst thing I've had happen was the last time when flying home from Dublin, we started up and taxied out but then returned to the stand. After 20min, engineers came on holding technical drawings, went into the cockpit and started hammering(no joke) it sounded like they were hammering on the metal of the plane. After an hour they gave up and moved us to another plane. No big deal really and could happen on any flight.
Flying with them again in July.

Flew with Ryanair twice in the past week, never bothered booking priority boarding but I did pre-book my seats. Only had a carry on bag but because they can only guarantee the first 90 will go in the overhead bins the staff started putting tags on everyones carry-on bags to go into the hold (free of charge). As you can imagine people were not impressed, luckily I was fine and managed to keep my carry-on bag with me on both flights.

It doesn't help that they allow all passengers 2 carry-on bags so the bins get filled very quick.

I sincerely hope that each and every person so affected takes them for every single penny that they are due in terms of compensation beyond the headline re-book/refund offer (i.e. at least in line with EU rules).

In much the same way that this airline would take its customer for every penny due if they are (for example) 500g over in their baggage weight.

Taking the pee now, are they providing a service or what? Pity they didn't announce this decision to cancel flights before I booked my 3 day trip to Budapest flying out on Friday 29th September. Now I have to wait and hope my fight isn't one of those affected. Never flying with them again if it is, and will never fly with them again if it isn't. Ryanair Roulette.

Last edited:
Ryanair to tell 400,000 passengers of cancelled flights after 'mess-up'

Ryanair is to tell 400,000 passengers that their flight has been cancelled, after it admitted to a “mess-up” on pilot holidays that left 18 million ticket holders wondering if their holiday plans would be ruined.

He said that 75% to 80% of passengers will be re-routed free of charge within a day of their expected departure date, and that compensation of €240 to €400 (£212 to £354) will be paid, depending on the length of the journey. But that will leave as many as 100,000 ticket holders seriously delayed, with possible weekend getaways wrecked.

O’Leary said consequential losses, caused when travellers cancel hire cars or hotels, will not be covered by Ryanair. He added that the airline will not book passengers on to rival airlines to get them to their destination on time.

“We will not pay for flights on other airlines,” he said. “We cannot afford to pay the high costs of our competitors.”

How did thèy let this get so out of hand? Surely they have a plan for staff holidays?
As I understand it they changed the year from running from April 1st to March 31st to running from January to December. Pilots suddenly had to get leave in before the end of the year.

We messed up pilot holidays, says Ryanair

""We have messed up in the planning of pilot holidays and we're working hard to fix that," he said.

Most of the cancellations are due to a backlog of staff leave which has seen large numbers of the airline's staff book holidays towards the end of the year.

The airline is changing its holiday year, which currently runs from April to March, to run from January to December instead.

Rynanair said the shift meant it had to allocate annual leave to pilots in September and October."

Why change at all? If something works don't try and fix it.

As I understand it they changed the year from running from April 1st to March 31st to running from January to December. Pilots suddenly had to get leave in before the end of the year.

We messed up pilot holidays, says Ryanair

""We have messed up in the planning of pilot holidays and we're working hard to fix that," he said.

Most of the cancellations are due to a backlog of staff leave which has seen large numbers of the airline's staff book holidays towards the end of the year.

The airline is changing its holiday year, which currently runs from April to March, to run from January to December instead.

Rynanair said the shift meant it had to allocate annual leave to pilots in September and October."

Why change at all? If something works don't try and fix it.

It's a smoke screen. Ryanair is losing a lot of pilots as they obviously feel they can get a better, permanent position with other airlines, so this holiday malarky is probably to offset a full scale industrial action.

Ryanair to tell 400,000 passengers of cancelled flights after 'mess-up'

Ryanair

O’Leary said consequential losses, caused when travellers cancel hire cars or hotels, will not be covered by Ryanair. He added that the airline will not book passengers on to rival airlines to get them to their destination on time.

“We will not pay for flights on other airlines,” he said. “We cannot afford to pay the high costs of our competitors.”
No other airline would. That is what travel insurance is for.
As for booking on an alternative flight, if Ryanair do not do it, simply book yourself and claim under EU regulations

No other airline would.
Not true. When Virgin decided to abandon their domestic operation, they DID re-book all their pax onto BA (arch competitor). When they ceased their Sydney operation, they re-protected their booked pax onto another airline. etc.

As for booking on an alternative flight, if Ryanair do not do it, simply book yourself and claim under EU regulations
Simply? Won't everyone be doing that? People have hire cars, hotels, child care booked. Thousands of people have suddenly been screwed over at once.

Not true. When Virgin decided to abandon their domestic operation, they DID re-book all their pax onto BA (arch competitor). When they ceased their Sydney operation, they re-protected their booked pax onto another airline. etc.
I am talking about hotels etc
Simply? Won't everyone be doing that? People have hire cars, hotels, child care booked. Thousands of people have suddenly been screwed over at once.
I am not defending Ryanair. But those with cancelled flights a few weeks away should be able to book on another flight on the same day or within 24 hours with the majority

FB_IMG_1505826725792.jpg

They're a bunch of spiteful bastards...

We used them for a holiday last week, and checked in on line 4 days before hand... We were asked if we wanted to pay for seats (7.50 upwards), we declined... So they sat us at opposite ends of the plane despite my row being completely empty, and my lady having seats either side of her...
So, after one seat was booked (free of charge) we then tried to book myself next to my lady,but then they tried to charge 13 quid..!

But as it happens,the guy next to me - his mate was sitting next to my lady so we swapped over...

With other cheap airlines, you can pay to sit where you want, if you decline then they will sit you together if there are seats available and not 15 rows away...

They're a bunch of spiteful bastards...

We used them for a holiday last week, and checked in on line 4 days before hand... We were asked if we wanted to pay for seats (7.50 upwards), we declined... So they sat us at opposite ends of the plane despite my row being completely empty, and my lady having seats either side of her...
So, after one seat was booked (free of charge) we then tried to book myself next to my lady,but then they tried to charge 13 quid..!

But as it happens,the guy next to me - his mate was sitting next to my lady so we swapped over...

With other cheap airlines, you can pay to sit where you want, if you decline then they will sit you together if there are seats available and not 15 rows away...
On my way back from Stuttgart they have me in seat 4E. My mate in 3E and 5E. Next to me was another guy (so 4D). His mate was in 3D and 5D. Same with the gentlemen in 4F. Could of sat us together. But being spiteful separated us

Ryanair threatened with legal action by UK regulator - Ryanair threatened with legal action

The CAA said information provided on Ryanair's website failed to make it clear that the airline was obliged to refund all expenses incurred as a result of the flight cancellation.

Those expenses included meals, hotels, as well as transfer costs to re-route passengers on other airlines when there was no suitable alternative, the CAA said.

I'm sure most have seen this by now, but posting it in case anyone doesn't do Facecrack.

Spare a thought for poor ole Michael O’Leary, Chief Executive of Ryanair.
After arriving in a hotel in Manchester, he went to the bar and asked for a pint of Guinness.
The barman nodded and said, "That will be £1 please, Mr. O’Leary."
Somewhat taken aback, O'Leary replied, "That's very cheap," and handed over his money.
"Well, we do try to stay ahead of the competition", said the barman. "And we are serving free pints every Wednesday from 6 pm until 8 pm. We have the cheapest beer in England".
"That is remarkable value", Michael comments.
"I see you don't seem to have a glass, so you'll probably need one of ours. That will be £3 please."
O'Leary scowled, but paid up.
He took his drink and walked towards a seat. "Ah, you want to sit down?" said the barman. "That'll be an extra £2. You could have pre-booked the seat, and it would have only cost you £1."
"I think you may be too big for the seat sir, can I ask you to sit in this frame please".
Michael attempts to sit down but the frame is too small and when he can't squeeze in, he complains "Nobody would fit in that little frame".
"I'm afraid if you can't fit in the frame you'll have to pay an extra surcharge of £4 for your seat sir".
O'Leary swore to himself, but paid up. "I see that you have brought your laptop with you" added the barman. "And since that wasn't pre-booked either, that will be another £3."
O'Leary was so incensed that he walked back to the bar, slammed his drink on the counter, and yelled, "This is ridiculous, I want to speak to the manager".
"I see you want to use the counter," says the barman, "that will be £2 please."
O'Leary's face was red with rage. "Do you know who I am?"
"Of course I do Mr. O'Leary."
"I've had enough! What sort of a Hotel is this? I come in for a quiet drink and you treat me like this. I insist on speaking to a manager!"
"Here is his e-mail address, or if you wish, you can contact him between 9.00 am and 9.01am every morning, Monday to Tuesday at this free phone number. Calls are free, until they are answered, then there is a talking charge of only £1 per second, or part thereof".
"I will never use this bar again".
"OK sir, but do remember, we are the only hotel in England selling pints for £1."

I'm sure most have seen this by now, but posting it in case anyone doesn't do Facecrack.

I posted it in the joke thread as I found that one first... :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom