Answered RXV677 + Wii.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by IrritatedBadger, Jun 10, 2015.

1. IrritatedBadger

IrritatedBadger
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,056
    The goal is to get 480p output and sound via the receiver.

How do I get sound from the reciever while the Wii is plugged into the TV direct?

My receiver Yamaha RXV677 is connected to TV (TX ST30B) via HDMI ARC.
    Wii is connected directly to TV via component cables. (not receiver, as there is no component audio in & receiver cannot output 480p just 480i over HDMI)

How do I get the sound playing over the surround speakers? I remember changing the input to AV4 for freeview viewing which allowed it to function but this does not seem to be the case with the Wii.

Any help would be most appreciated as I'm running around in circles!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  2. Best Answer:
    Post #4 by dante01, Jun 10, 2015 (1 points)
    See Also:
  3. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,225
    Connect your TV's audio output to the receiver and select the TV as the source when using the Wii. If the audio is sourced via an external source connected to your TV then the TV will only output stereo content though. I believe this to be the case with most if not all Panasonic TVs? This shouldn't be an issue with the Wii though because it has no ability to output multichannel discrete audio anyway.

Is your Wii the Wii U? This would allow for multichannel audio, but only via its HDMI out as LPCM. THe protocol that governs the optical output doesn't support multichannel PCM, but this is the only discrete multichannel sound format the Wii U supports or uses.

The only way to fascilitate getting discrete multichannel LPCM to your receiver from a Wii U is via a direct HDMI connection to the receiver because your TV has no way to pass multichannel PCM through from an external source and the optical audio output of the Wii U cannot convey it either.

4. IrritatedBadger

IrritatedBadger
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,056
    While I have a Wii U, the console I'm trying to connect is a Wii.

These are the ports on the back of my set:
    http://www.*/image/hdtv/Panasonic-TXP42ST30/rear-connections.jpg

So if I get what I think is a TOSlink cable (where it says digital audio out) and connect that to the optical section (AV4, TV) on the back of the reciever. Set the input to component on the TV and the amp to AV4. I should get sound out of my speakers?
    [​IMG]

5. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,225
    Best Answer

Yes. but you'd also need to change the TV's audio settings and set them to external speakers if using the optical audio output. There are usually three audio output options onboard most modern TVs:

RECEIVER which you'd choose if wanting to use HDMI ARC to convey audio from an ARC enabled TV to an ARC enabled receiver.

EXTERNAL SPEAKERS which you'd choose if wanting to output audio via an optical audio output.

TV SPEAKERS if wanting to use the TV's own internal speakers.

Change the appropriate setting onboard the TV appropriately.

6. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,318
    #2 Best Answer
    Very few TVs will convert analogue audio to digital and output via either toslink or HDMI.

You'll almost certainly have to split the cables from your Wii, and run the video into the TV and the analogue audio into your amp.

7. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,225
    It wouldn't make any difference to the audio associated with the Wii (not the Wii U) because the Wii only outputs stereo audio.

8. scythefwd

scythefwd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I'm actually running a 3rd party adapter through my reciever.. I'll have to check and see what it outputs as.. I thought it was 480p...

9. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,318
    You missed the point that I was making which is that very few (possibly no?) TVs will convert an analogue input and then output it either by ARC or the digital output. The digital output is only a passthrough of another digital input.

Therefore the original poster has no choice other than to connect the audio leads from his Wii to the amplifier.

10. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +741
    My Samsung UE40F7000 does exactly that - takes phono stereo input and outputs it as digital 2.0 over the optical out. I actually do this under certain circumstances to feed an external digital headphone amp to feed some headphones for a relative who's hard of hearing when we don't want to knock off the main speakers for the rest of us. Don't do it often, but the TV will do it if required.

Having said all that, I would recommend that the OP feeds componant video to his TV and optical or coax digital audio to the amp, and switch the TV and amp inputs accordingly. Though as the Wii only does stereo anyway it's probably academic and six of one and half a dozen of the other.

Regards

Mark

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  11. scythefwd

scythefwd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Just checked.. my hdmi adapter on my wii is diong 480p output. Guess they are out there. Only tangital to the conversationb but if that was was stopping you from pushing through the stereo using hdmi, looks like its possible.