RXV677 Slightly Muddy Sound

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by brindleness, Jul 18, 2015.

1. brindleness

brindleness
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all.

I'm new to these forums but I've recently just bought the Yamaha RXV677 to replace a 10/11 year old Sony amp and while I'm mostly impressed with the sound, I can't help but feel like it seems a little bit muddy, especially when dialogue is coming through the centre speaker. Seems a little bottom heavy in the general sound, as well.

I set up using YPAO and played with the Parametric EQ for the centre by copying all the flat settings through onto manual except just upping the dB what should be vocal frequencies (I read in another forum to increase 200Hz, 1000Hz and 2000Hz) on the centre speaker but it still doesn't seem ....right compared to how the other amp sounded. I also increased the dialogue level to 2 which sharpened the vocal sound a little more.

Is it just the fact that I'm putting the speakers through a new amp and that I need to get used to it or does anyone else feel like it's just a bit too muddy?

To give you an idea of what settings I use, I usually watch TV in Dolby PLII Movie and play music in 7 channel stereo, both with the enhancer switched off.

Cheers!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015