1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rxv 630??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Adrenochrome, Feb 2, 2003.

1. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    hi folks,

i am looking to buy the above receiver, listened to it today and liked what i heard.

i have a couple of queries perhaps someone could help me with.

why is the titanium version £460ish when the black one is only£319ish.

also what speakers/sub would you pair with this, it will be for watching tv and dvds only very rarely for music.

i also have to buy a dvd player which one would you choose??

budget is up to £1000

room is 15 feet by 13 feet with timber floor.

any help appreciated.

regards

Tom Barr.:confused:

2. Cheng

Cheng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6

3. oggy

oggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Try here for your amp bought mine on a friday they delivered on the tuesday morning well impressedhttp://www.hifijunkies.co.uk and for £340 / £10 del.3 year garuntee.:clap: :clap: :smashin:

4. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    £1000 is going to get stretched thin if you go for a sub straight away so I would try your luck without a sub - your room is small so you may find that you get enough bass from the main speakers.

So here's a suggestion (but make sure you listen to a setup before parting with the dosh):

Yamaha 430 - £220 including 3 year warranty from RS. You don't appear to need 6 channel inputs 'cos you're not interested in music so SACD / DVD-A won't be an issue & it will be powerful enough to fill your room.
    DVD player Tosh 220 or Pioneer 350 - £120.

Leaving you about £650 for speakers, stands, cables, interconnects

General rule for speakers Match your Fronts and Centre. It's nice to have matching rears as well but not essential (I don't but that's 'cos I'm now out of money).

So what sort of fronts do you want - floor standers?
    How about Kef Coda 90 £250 Kef Coda 80 (centre) £120, Kef Coda 70 (rear) £150 leaving you about more than £100 for stands and cables and interconnects. (Codas available from hifibitz)

Stand mount B&W 601 S3 (front) £250 B&W LCR60 £160 B&W 600 S3 (rear) £200 £610 in total prolly too rich

Aegis Evo One (two pairs) £360 Evo Centre £150 total £510 leaving about £150 for stands interconnects and cables. But Evo Ones don't like being near walls. So what about Kef Qs ...............

Hard work isn't it?

So what's the solution? My experience has taught me that the way to buy speakers is thru someone like sevenoaks who have demo facilities - sure Richer's are cheap but it's like buying stuff in Kwik Save, you have to know what you want before you buy (I know you can swap stuff but that's a fag). Also RS can't supply you with the full range of speakers (you won't find the B&Ws there for a start).

Phone a few dealers tell them what you have in mind re amp and dvd player & give them your budget for speakers - see what they recommend (everybody I spoke to recommended the B&Ws even though I bought Kefs). Then go and try them out with a setup like the one you've chosen (Sevenoaks were very accomodating).

The way I look at it is if I'm going to spend £1000, I'm going to have a good time with the shopping experience :D

FYI this is what I have:
    Yamaha 630 (£340)
    Pioneer 656 (£320)
    Kef Q1 (front) (£220)
    Kef Q9c (Centre) (£220)
    Tannoy MX1 (Rear) (£80)
    Cables cost about £75
    Interconnects £180 (I have 6 channels connected for SACD)
    Sound style stands for rears £100

And it sounds terrific to my ears, but to somebody else it could be terrible :rolleyes: