RXV-1500, Denon 2805 or Marantz 7400

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by pragmatic, Nov 9, 2004.

Tags:
  1. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    I'm looking to upgrade my rxv-620 and feel that these are the best choices for my price range with deals (£400-550 actual price, no rrp). I'm looking for pretty much 100% movies and tv, so any music is likely to be either on a film or a music channel. I like the idea of video up conversion and automatic setup although as this is a amp the most important thing is sound quality, I also don't feel that my current amp uses surround effects very well, although this could be down to PL1.

So I’m looking for an amp/receiver that produces the best sound field and PL2 minimum.

I was also wondering if the new DTS and DD standards actually make a difference or are just there to nudge me into upgrading?

I would consider paying a bit more for a good second hand or display model if anyone knows of a deal, although i think PL2 is a minimum I want.

(The off topic bit)
    Also I bought some B&W P5's (one of the reasons I feel I need to upgrade, they are big speakers and I feel the amp is holding them back) and as I get to a certain volume on the amp (-35 from range -90 to 0) I get a hissing sound, I originally had to get the tweeters replaced as they where not working (on both speakers). Sevenoaks the shop i bought them from replaced them with new units and it's the tweeters that are making the noise again on both speakers.

P.S. sorry for the long post

2. wildone

wildone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Gazbarber and welcome to the forums. I had the RXV620 (well, still got it - it's in the garage gathering dust) and it was the biz. The 7400 improved upon the 620 in all aspects - audio, AV reproduction, facilities, future-proofing - and I don't think there is a single user on these forums who is displeased with their purchase. My tastes are more weighted towards music and I find the 7400 more than adequate with my budget speaker setup (which will be upgraded in due course). The 7400 doesn't upconvert video to my knowledge so you may be better served with the upcoming 7500 (others more in the know will be able to advise) but this may come in at more than your allotted budget. I have a 7.1 setup - DPLIIx and the CSII modes provide excellent reproduction of regular stereo / 5.1 sources.
    The new Denon and Yamaha models may provide more of an edge in terms of auto-setup facilities (but a Maplins sound meter can provide that) but your ears will be the best judge at the end of the day.
    Hope this helps - others may offer opinions in due course.

3. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    Thanks for the reply, and I think only the sound quality really matter from an amp/reciever but the extras do seem to tempt me away and the major thing that marantz has for me is the more acurate power rating for all channels drven but does this really mater?

I was wondering what the major diffrences are between the 7400 and 7500, although it seems the new one has THX select and upconversion. Also line memory is mentioned with upconversion as well as a few other things, so it looks like it might process the video signal, but marantz's site is void of details regarding its special technology (why?).

Although looking at the spec sheet doesn't tell you how it performs and if the availible (actual) price is more than the £550 or so of the yammy or denon it might not be worth it.

I'm starting to think from all the reviews and forums I read that pretty much all recievers at least in this price range are very similar, some better at music and some better at surround stearing but overall not much difference only price and a few gimicky/semi usefull features. Like auto setup, does that really matter? can i just do it al with a sound meter or will it also help speakers from different brands integrate better?

:offtopic:

Why do people complain about only 2 component inputs? I have a DVD recorder and player, and that seems over the top to me.

Again sorry for the tome of a post

4. Antpink

Antpink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Although not advertised by the literature, and unless UK models are different to the ones sold in Singapore, the 7400 I recently purchased has this feature. Tested in the shop, and running in this fashion at the house - composite and S-Video feeds, one component to the TV.