1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RX-V657 Decoder/Amplifier Query!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by rodgeonbike, Jun 6, 2005.

1. rodgeonbike

rodgeonbike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I am seriously considering purchasing a Yamaha RX-V657 7.1 decoder, however I have seen the RX-V650 decoder for up to £70 cheaper and cannot tell a difference! Also, would the NS-M515 speakers be suitable for use with this amplifier as front AND rear speakers? The output of the amplifier is 95w/channel and the speakers are shown as a nominal input of 60w however with a maximum input of 200w. Will the amplifier damage the speakers at high volumes? What about if I only wish to use the system for 5.1 sound output? It does not necessarily have to be this amplifier, just a yamaha one with similar sort of power, and the YPAO technology. I'm only 17 but i do know a good sound from bad, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Rodgeonbike.

2. alefsin

alefsin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I don't think the differences between 657 and 650 is really important. Aparantly the the only differences are that 657 has a multi-room feature and YPAO in 657 is a bit better than 650 (it can adjust the equalizer too). So if you think you can find 650 with a much better price, then go for it.
    Both work perfectly with a 5.1 setup, and yes, it is possible to damage a speaker with an amp that is much more powerfull than the rated scale of the speakers. However, if your spkear says that its absolute max is 200W, there should be no risk; only possibly with a very high volume it may start to click and make noises like being torn apart ;)

3. PC_112

PC_112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The 657 can also up-convert composite and s-video to component.