1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rx-v630rds

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by RichB14, Jan 22, 2003.

1. RichB14

RichB14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Pretty much set on this unit, has anyone seen it for less than £320

2. neilybealy

neilybealy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    i'm actually torn between this and the sony 1080 to replace my yamaha dsp a590

3. JaseyJay

JaseyJay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are not bothered about the RDS facility, you may be interested in the brand new Yamaha DSPAX630SE I have for sale in the classifed section.

JJ

4. RichB14

RichB14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    :rolleyes: would have done if it was silver

5. RichB14

RichB14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Ok going to purchase today but can i use the amp with a pair of front speakers and a center until i can a set of new speakers ?

6. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    Sure you can. You can set rear and/or subwoofer to "none". And there is an option, as far as I know, to recreate somehow the full surround with only front speakers, but I don't know how good it works.
    Actually, the yam 630 can also drive another pair of front speakers, either for another room or for an increased sound-stage.
    I have myself the 530 and I have also checked the 630, but I saved money since my speakers were not good enough for the 630.
    Ah! Somebody in this forum demoed together the 630 and the sony 1080, and liked more the sony... you can search for the topic...
    I hope it helps.

7. RichB14

RichB14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    What speakers are you running it then?

8. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    Magnat. 4 Floorstanding speakers for front and rear, Magnat Motion 60, not very well know outside Germany. Rated at 20-20000 Hz, 91 dB and 120 w rms, 8-4 ohm. Good specs, but not top quality material. And I wouldn't believe them indeed...
    The center speaker is also Magnat, a MAgnat Center Vector 13, rated at 36-35000 Hz, 100 w rms, 8-4 ohm. This is better than the others, but the center speaker of the motion series didn't have enough power, and it is an important speaker, because it will support all the dialogs. But the tonal matching is almost perfect, I checked it actually yesterday. It lacks a little bit of bass with respect to the front ones, nevertheless.
    The sub is MAgnat, serie Alpha A30. 90 w rms, 300 mm woofer, 20-200 Hz. Active one.
    Many people told me that I wouldn't notice the difference between the Yamaha 530 and the 630, but I didn't have a chance to demo both... My poor german doesn't help in that, I think. I thought I could go for the 630 and upgrade speakers later, but for that time I would also need to upgrade the amp :) And, if I decided to spend the money of the 630, I would think rather about the MArantz 4300, since it is said to be better for music, which I prefer.

9. RichB14

RichB14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Well i've just bought the 630 and a set of eltax symphony all for less than what i was going to spend on set of kef2005's not sure how good the eltax's are yet untill a home demo

10. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    Which series? 2.2, 4.2, 6.2 or 8.2? Eltax has a wide range in quality, from low end speakers to high quality ones, as far as I have seen. Pretty much like Magnat, who has also a THX certificate series. But if you say you have those, and as far as I have looked in a rush in internet, I think they are more or less like mine, in quality. But of course, that is only looking at the specs...
    Did you get a subwoofer? It is a must for home cinema, I was told so in this forum when I went for my system, and I do not regret at all the money I spent on it. Mine has in-built amplifier, and you can set the output level. In adition, it has a variable cross-over from 150 to 50 Hz. Ah! And a switch to change the phase from 0 to 180 degrees, which I don't know what use it can have, and how it affects the sound. I have tried it, and I didn't notice about any difference... Anyone there knows what is it good for?
    I am very satisfied with the sub.
    Anway, Eltax is usually symbol of good performance, they were supposed to build only hi-end stuff, but not long ago they opened to the whole market, as far as I have read. Ah! And I read somewhere that it is a good value for the price!

11. RichB14

RichB14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    The fronts are 8.3
    90 dB
    32-22.000 Hz
    4-8 ohm
    115-230 watt

Rears are called mini
    88dB
    60-20.000 Hz
    4-8 ohm
    70-120 watt

Center is C3
    88 dB
    60-20.000 Hz
    4-8 ohm
    80-130 watt

Attached Files:

12. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    Ok, that looks like a nice package. I think they are at least as good as mine, rather better. I think that mine are rated higher as they really are. So you should have a well matched system.
    You will be really satisfied, unless you had before a very good hifi.
    Anyway, as I said, I recommend you a subwoofer, ask in the forums here, I don't have any advice to give because I didn't make a proper "research" to find the best, I simply had everything magnat, and saw that one which was fitting me for price, sound and specs, so I bought it. But the sub doesn't matter that much in terms of tonality, you can buy another brand or model.
    Mine was a special offer, I got it for 200 euro, see the specs above. And I am really satisfied with it, but it doesn't mean much because I didn't demo more :) The ignorance is the basis for happiness!
    Ah! Since you have the yamaha 630, you can buy another couple of speakers (here, care about tonality, I would say two as the rears you got), as I told you, and place them also in the front part, with a wider angle and further if possible, to increase the sound stage. Or also place them in another room (then, maybe you would like another couple like the front ones you have, but if you place them in another room, it doesn't matter again which brand... Actually, it would be interesting to get a different pair, and then to have two different tonalities, to choose depending on your mood :)).
    In addition, you can add a center rear speaker, then it would be good one like the rears you have. You see? Still possibilities! If you have "bored money" (this is a spanish expression!) you know what you can do.
    Resuming, I'd say the sub is a must. The back rear would give more and more vivid surround experience, and the additional fronts, more sound stage.
    I hope you understand me, I tend to be complicated even in my mother tonge!
    Tell me your experience when you demo it!