RX v4600 or v2600

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by locutuswolf359, Nov 3, 2005.

1. locutuswolf359

locutuswolf359

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all , just looking for some info regarding the above amps , i am a little confused. Which the higher spec the 4600 is £1000.00 , but some people are saying the 2600 is £899.00 with video upscaling snd hsd more features ??? Any thoughts would be appreciated as i was about to go for the V4600 with the B+W MT 30's. Regards

2. ColdKilla

ColdKilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hiya,
    tbh there is not that much information on direct comparisons between the two as yet. The 2600 it seems will have more functionality but how it compares on sound we just dont know. Yamaha will no doubt say the 4600 is better otherwise they wouldn't sell any! My guess is purely on sound you will get slightly more from a 4600 but whether you wont to go some of the extra functionality for that and pay more for it too...I just dont know?

As the unit is not even released in the UK yet any true reviews are hard to come by.

CK

3. locutuswolf359

locutuswolf359

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks , I have just emailed Yamaha with a similar question and poss release date, i will post there response . I am keen to here what they say . With v4600 getting great reviews i may just stick with it.Looking to purchase with the next 4 weeks so hopefully more info will come to light.

4. sjclark74

sjclark74
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I want to purchase a V2600 and Straford Hi Fi have suggested it will be available early to mid December...just in time for Christmas! Really want to see a review.

5. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 4600 does have i-link, and a better sound overall...the 2600 has upconversion and bi-amping over the 4600

6. shadi

shadi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 4600 and it has i-link. I think the new features on the 2600 are excellent, however I suspect from a performance perspective the 4600 has more refinement.

Match either of these units with a good set of speakers and you will not be disappointed.

7. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too am wondering. The 2600 you can bi-amp and upscale, the 4600 you can't - weird.

On paper the differences are minor.
    AVLand seem to think they had the same DACs.

The i-link thing is unimportant to me as SACD/DVD - A seem a dead duck.

How would people characterise the Yamaha, warm, bright, etc? I'm looking for something good in stereo and quite bright. I didn't like the Arcam sound = too dull.

There's a good review of the 4600 here.

http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/YamahaRX-V4600HTp1.php

8. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :mad:
    I think yamaha could be called just a tad bit bright BUT without loossing emotion. I had a NAD setup and it was a bit bright too, but totally emotionless, the yamaha grabs you by the tails with music..

The 4600 is said to have better components against the 2600, and has i-link, which is kinda handy if you want a single cable for everything. The only thing i don't like about the 4600 is not being able to bi-amp