1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RX-V1500 vs AX5i

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by doctorjuggles, Apr 23, 2005.

1. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    There are a few Pioneer AX5i deals floating around, a couple of ex-dem products for around £499, a couple of 2nd hand models at around £450.
    Considering I can get the Yammy brand new from Germany for £407, I was wondering which was the better deal? If it's new, I get the full warranty, service etc, plus there's obviously slightly newer technology in the 1500.

However, the AX5i (not the AX5ai model, I must clarify) is a highly regarded beast on more than just these forums, and so is an enticing prospect.

One poor point against them is that I've heard more than one review say that the Pioneer can tend towards brightness, which I'm not overly fond of, as I prefer a neutral or slightly warmer sound. Is this a character trait of the AX5i?

For info, I will be matching the receiver with Monitor Audio Radius R270s, R225 and R90s. (Sub is as yet undecided, but something along the lines of a Rel Stampede or ASW675)

I also place a high value on musical ability, as the receiver will be performing both duties equally.

2. cliveuk

cliveuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    yamaha`s tend to be a more warmer sound from what ive read, ive got a RX-V1500 myself and im more than happy with it, the pioneer tends to perform better on movies than it does with music but i havent heard one so i cant be sure

3. Ninjaman

Ninjaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The Pioneer AX5i will out perform a yamaha 1500 in movie and audio sound.

In fact it will even outperform a 2500, imo.

I have had the two and compared them.

However, cosmetically the yammy's are more pleasing on the eye and have more meaningless surround sound matrix.

4. Maximumbaz

Maximumbaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

Strange, on audition I preferred the sound of the Yamaha over the Pioneer but thought the Pioneer looked nicer, complete opposite.

5. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    I'd agree with that from my experience. However, the Pioneer has quite a bright sound compared to the warmer sound of the Yamaha (much like the Denon).

6. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hmm. Pretty much what I feared. Think I'll go with the Yammy then, thanks guys.