1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RX-V1500 and RX-V2500 differences

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Jackam, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Jackam

Jackam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know what the different between the Yamaha RX-V1500 and RX-V2500, other than 10 watts per channel and about £200?

I intend to buy the 2500, but will only use the center and 2x rear amps. Am I wasting my money?

Thanks...

2. Poolsharkie69

Poolsharkie69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own the 1500. I believe it is the on screen display. The 2500 has a color on screen display for set up and system maintenance. The 1500 uses only text for the most part for the set up and system changes. I am very hapy with the 1500. Once I had my system set up the way I liked it...the extra money just wasn't worth spending on a color display.

Cheers

3. Jackam

Jackam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, so it seems in terms of 'sound quality' its pretty even. I'll go for the 1500 then.

4. Poolsharkie69

Poolsharkie69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I heard them side by side and to my ears I couldn't tell the difference...maybe if you can hear both of them with the same speakers that woudl help ya out.

5. Grubert

Grubert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72

Apart from what has said, I think the 2500 has a couple more DSP modes, and also Volume Trim (if your TV signal is louder than your DVD, you can set it so that it turns it down slightly when you switch sources)

And I don't know where you're looking, but where I bought my 2500 it was a mere £60 more. ;)

6. Jackam

Jackam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have found the 2500 for £699 (www.petertyson.co.uk), but this seems a little too good to be true. Has anyone used this site?

7. Grubert

Grubert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    £699? Bah! Several people on this forum have bought a 2500 for about £500. ;)

8. DDD

DDD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Grubert do you know where from? :lease:

9. Boozyuzi

Boozyuzi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Probaby from Germany. Theres a huge thread all about it.

I've just got a Yamaha RX-V1500 for £437 inc postage from TechnikDirekt

http://www.technikdirekt.de/main/

They have the 2500 for about £570.

10. Grubert

Grubert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    That was close. Actually I bought it from TSN Versand, as the 2500 is cheaper there (the 1500 is cheaper at technikdirekt).

11. Jackam

Jackam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if I am going over old ground with this question, but the spec is exactly the same other than the plug? Is the writing on the front panel and remote in English?

12. Boozyuzi

Boozyuzi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Exactly the same apart from the plug.

Yamaha UK will honour the warranty.

13. mista

mista

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The 2500 has an extra component input than the 1500 - 3 to 2

Mista

14. Beastie Boy

Beastie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 2500 also has 3 output zones and is able to drive 2 seperate displays, both showing different sources.

Cheers, Beastie.

15. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I believe it also has more DAC's and a bigger, better equilizer. If you have the extra cash and get it from Germany just buy the 2500 over the 1500:devil:

16. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The RX-V2500 has full control over the parametric EQ, meaning you can manually adjust the frequency and Q factor for each band as well as the gain. It also displays the resulting curve very nicely on screen, giving you a graphical representation. The way they designed the menus for adjusting the PEQ could have been better though.

There are also other differences to manual setup, where the 2500 does not have the same simple "Basic setup" menu as the 1500, but leaves you only able to adjust the actual underlying settings (speaker levels, distances, etc.) directly. That does not mean there are things you can control on the 1500 but not on the 2500, it just means you can't start out with a general profile such as "Small" or "Large" room on the 2500.

However, you can store up to 6 system settings in memory, of which two can be recalled directly from the remote. These store pretty much all settings made. You can also recall the last measurements made by YPAO independently of each other (wiring, distance, size, equalizing, levels).

As for the DAC's, I'm still inclined to believe they're the same as in the 1500, but then again I haven't cracked it open to have a look ...yet. :D

The extra DSP modes are:
    HALL: Munich A
    CHURCH: Freiburg
    CLASSICAL/OPERA

The 2500 also has a backlit remote control, which is so-so considering you can't read the labeling next to the buttons anyway.

Last but not least, the input selector on the 2500 is metal instead of plastic.

17. machinehead

machinehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    i got my 2500 from www.tsn versand for 792euros about£550.they are first class to deal with.i went through my bank.they dealt with the transaction no problem.it's also good with music as well [depending on the production of the album].it has a pure direct mode,which i like.a really good buy for the price imho.

regards machinehead

18. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    I find that pure direct mode doesn't sound as good in some instances, but other it does.
    I find some music sounds better with strait 2.1 or dts:neo, but i suppose in these cases the sub is helping as its not active during pure direct.

19. Poolsharkie69

Poolsharkie69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HMMM am I weird...I run the cd's I play and my mp3 from my xbox as 7ch stereo...seems to give the fullest sound to my ears. I only have a 5.1 set up though with my paradigms.

20. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Yea, i guess thats what they call a wider sound stage. It is strange but somethings do sound better in different mode. Not that they sound bad anyway but tha fact that you can quickly change the DSP means that you can instantly hear any difference.

21. The Hemulen

The Hemulen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Has anyone seen the 2500 for sale in black rather than titanium finish? The 1500 definately is available in black but not sure about the 2500.

22. simonb01

simonb01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same here looking for black 2500 in germany but have not found any yet. Perhaps a call direct to suppliers would help but may germans alittle rusty (read non existent). Let us know if you have any luck

23. Grubert

Grubert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I have the Yamaha 2004/2005 catalogue for Switzerland in front of me and all receivers are displayed in a large picture in titanium finish and a small one in black. All of them... except the RX-V2500. :eek:

24. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Looks like your gonna have to get the Japlac (sp) out and paint it your self, could even try tie dying it, although not sure if that would work :D

25. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It seems the RX-V2500 isn't available in black in Europe. I wanted it in black too so it would match my old Yamaha components, but no such luck. The titanium looks pretty good though although it should be pointed out it's not comparable to silver. In indoor light, it gets a brownish tint to it.

Why this out of all their receivers is not available in black beats me. It is manufactured in black. In the US, it is available in black.

Yet, some of Yamaha's other components such as CD players and tape decks are only available in black. They're probably being phased out.

The 2500 could be converted to black by getting all the necessary spare parts - that is, the top cover, the front panel, the front subpanel, the button assemblies, and the knobs. I have thought of investigating how much those parts would cost since I prefer black, but I assume it would not be worth it. :D

26. machinehead

machinehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    you could also buy a cabinet with smoked glass doors then nobody would see it!.

regards machinehead

27. simonb01

simonb01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2500 IN BLACK

Found this link for BLACK 2500 at 789EURO(approx £565), Dont know the retailer, and cant work out if they deliver. Seems like small Company and cant work out/ translate if they deliver to UK. Havent Babel'd yet. But this maybe a possible supply option

28. simonb01

simonb01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0