RX-A680 not picking up Atmos from PC

Aleks70

Novice Member
The audio played from the Nvidia Shield TV on the AVR shows DD + / Atmos format.
The audio played from the PC on the AVR shows the 3/4/0.1 format.
Audio setup 5.1.2

From the PC, the seventh channel is translated to the fifth channel and the eighth channel to the sixth.

HW:
Yamaha RX-A680
TV LG EG9A7V codecs AC3(Dolby Digital), EAC3, HE-AAC, AAC, MP2, MP3, PCM, DTS, DTS-HD, DTS Express, WMA, apt-X
Nvidia Shield TV
PC with Dolby SW

Is it possible that my TV is blocking 7.1 or presence 7th and 8th channels? And if so, what is the logic that a streamer can forward DD + / Atmos to AVR? Can I play Atmos somehow from PC?

aalba6675

Novice Member
Assuming you are running Windows 10...

"Can I play Atmos somehow from PC?" - I tested the Netflix app from the Microsoft Store, connected my PC to a Denon AVR with a TV show that has an Atmos sound track, and the AVR does indeed show Atmos on the display.

You will need to configure the "Spatial sound" setting under Sound -> Output -> (select your AVR device) -> Device properties. Under "Spatial sound format" select "Dolby Atmos for Home
Theatre". Your Dolby SW is not used in this case as the PC just streams the Dolby Atmos metadata in DD+.

Tangentially, not audio related, to get HDR video from the Netflix app you will need to install the HEVC codec pack (USD 0.99 on the Microsoft Store). There used to be a free codec pack in the store but that no longer exists. Presumably it can be found with some diligence...

With Windows 10 setup as described, the Netflix app from the PC triggers all the same buzzwords as a streaming device (TV app, Chromecast app) — DD+/Atmos for audio, and HDR/BT.2020 for video.

Aleks70

Novice Member
Thank you. The problem does not depend on the application but on Win10 itself.
I would like to solve the problem to complete the ceiling speaker measurements with the REW.
Even if I select 7.1 or Atmos as a sound output on my PC and activate the test speaker's sounds in the Win10 system, my left ceiling speaker plays on the left rear speaker, the right ceiling speaker on the right rear speaker. If I disconnect the HDMI TV cable from the AVR, the AVR does not output sound.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom