Question RX-A3030 Force Center Channel

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by CyrexNZ, Jun 9, 2017.

1. CyrexNZ

CyrexNZ
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Gang,

Can I force my Yamaha RX-A3030 to play anything I want through the center channel, without any of the special effects provided by the preset Entertainment and Movie modes?

The issue I am having is with Hulu via my XBox One, connected with an HDMI cable directly to my receiver. Everything is broadcast in Stereo (that in itself is extremely annoying), and I find myself with my volume up to -20 just to hear the dialog.

Please tell me that I can make this come through my center channel without any special effects! And without doing anything crazy like rewiring my system.

Thanks!

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,617
    No. You cannot do anything to force the receiver to downmix stereo audio and output it as mono via just the centre speaker. Besides which, doing so wouldn't result in the audio being any more legible and you'd still need to play it at the same master audio in order to hear it.

3. CyrexNZ

CyrexNZ
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about forcing the sound to come out of all speakers? I'm only running three anyway (front L, front R, and Center).

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,617
    Several SURROUND DECODER modes as well as the 9CH STEREO mode will utilise all 3 of your speakers. The receiver's PARTY MODE would also use all three speakers.

I'm at a loss at to why you think this would improve the audio?

5. CyrexNZ

CyrexNZ
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It isn't a matter of improving the quality of the audio, just a matter of making it so I can actually hear the dialog. When watching anything on Hulu, I need my volume somewhere in the -20's just to hear the dialog, then the second there are any sound effects or music, my speakers and sub are blasting.

Now, how I have NEVER tried 9ch Stereo mode in the 3 years that I've owned this receiver is beyond me.

In short, thanks for the help!

6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,617
    I'd maybe suggest you try using the ADAPTIVE DRC option accessed via the OPTIONS menu. This should make quieter aspects of the audio more audible at lower volume levels.

7. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,955
    Also, you could try using one of the pro logic settings, which will create a pseudo surround mode from a stereo input. It should redirect most of the dialogue to the centre channel, and the surround effects to the other channels.

Then, you could just increase the level of the centre speaker slightly until you get the right balance where the dialogue is clear but the surround effects are not too loud.

EDIT: Just re-read your first post and see that you don't like the special effects. Me neither. If you try dobly pro logic movie, or neo 6 cinema, they will create the pseudo surround channels from stereo sources, and will re-direct the dialogue to the centre, without adding in any of those weird additional effects that you get with things like 'hall' or 'sci-fi' settings.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017