Question RX-A1050 running HT Bypass enabled Amp for fronts?

Monkey303

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for some info and possibly some recommendations regarding the use of an integrated amplifier with the HT bypass function with my existing RX-A1050 to power my front speakers and I have a couple of questions.

I was looking at the Yamaha A-S1100, it has the ability to do the HT Bypass thing, but I was wondering, when it is hooked up like that, does the RX-A1050 automatically set the volume of the fronts to match what YPAO set everything to the last time it was run, or do I have to manually adjust the volume on the A-S1100? If the volume is adjusted on the A-S1100, does it change the entire volume on the RX-A1050, in the same way that turning the volume knob on the 1050 would?

Also, if using the A-S1100 to run my fronts, can i still use the subwoofer for 2ch use connected to the RX-A1050?

Finally, I'm looking for recommendations for other amps to drive my fronts, budget of maybe £1200, the front speakers are B&W 685 S2.

You connect the stereo amp from the front left and right pre-outs on the receiver and connect to the bypass RCA inputs on the stereo amp. Turn both receiver and amp on and set the amp to the bypass setting, it's a simple button press on the remote of my Rega. The volume for films when in 5.1 is controlled by the receiver. You should run the EQ again although I left if for a few weeks with my Rega to give it a little burn in time.

For just stereo use from other devices the amp will be used as normal and it's own volume control will need to be used.

Also, if using the A-S1100 to run my fronts, can i still use the subwoofer for 2ch use connected to the RX-A1050?
Not easily. There are workarounds, but they are a bit messy. Ideally you would use a subwoofer via it's high level inputs with your stereo amp, and not use the AVR at all when listening to music.

Finally, I'm looking for recommendations for other amps to drive my fronts, budget of maybe £1200, the front speakers are B&W 685 S2.
I'll recommend what I am using, great value for money in my opinion.

The stereo amp is a Musical Fidelity M3i, it is an older model, but there are still some around that can be picked up heavily discounted. Original RRP was £1000, can be had for around £500 - £600.
It has HT bypass. This one has the option to make an offer:

Musical Fidelity M3i Vollverstärker - schwarz | eBay

That would give you enough money left over to add a subwoofer. I use the BK XLS200, it accepts both high level and low level inputs at the same time. So, can be used as a second sub with your AVR via the low level input, and then as a stand alone subwoofer with your stereo amp via the high level inputs. You can use the controls on the sub itself to blend it in with your main speakers.

Actually your budget would allow for the more expensive BK subs if you fancy, or have a large room?:

Sub Woofers - Sub Bass - Subwoofer

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
it's a simple button press on the remote of my Rega. The volume for films when in 5.1 is controlled by the receiver. You should run the EQ again although I left if for a few weeks with my Rega to give it a little burn in time.

/QUOTE]

Ok thanks, that's what I hoped it would do. :thumbsup:

Not easily. There are workarounds, but they are a bit messy. Ideally you would use a subwoofer via it's high level inputs with your stereo amp, and not use the AVR at all when listening to music.

I'll recommend what I am using, great value for money in my opinion.

The stereo amp is a Musical Fidelity M3i, it is an older model, but there are still some around that can be picked up heavily discounted. Original RRP was £1000, can be had for around £500 - £600.
It has HT bypass. This one has the option to make an offer:

Musical Fidelity M3i Vollverstärker - schwarz | eBay

That would give you enough money left over to add a subwoofer. I use the BK XLS200, it accepts both high level and low level inputs at the same time. So, can be used as a second sub with your AVR via the low level input, and then as a stand alone subwoofer with your stereo amp via the high level inputs. You can use the controls on the sub itself to blend it in with your main speakers.

Actually your budget would allow for the more expensive BK subs if you fancy, or have a large room?:

Sub Woofers - Sub Bass - Subwoofer

Thanks, I'll have a look at the M3i. Already got an XXLS400, but looking to get a PSA sub next month so just looking at amps for now, cheers! :thumbsup: Room is smallish, 3.5mx4m approximately.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom