+RW to -R and new chapters (RD-XS32)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by trainspotter, Jan 19, 2005.

1. trainspotter

trainspotter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a problem, which I hope that someone on here can help me solve. I currently have a Toshiba RD-XS32 recorder, and used to have a Philips DVDR 880. My tosh will not read +RW discs, and i have a few +RW recordings that I wish to play, that I guess I should be able to copy on by PC DVD burner using Nero.

However, because my old recorder was not a brilliant piece of kit for re-editing, I have a few recordings that are split into several titles that I would like to merge to make one title, does anyone know any suitable PC software to do this with?

I have tried putting my +RW disc into my portable DVD player, and making a recording on the Tosh hard drive via the AV inputs, but my player likes to jump, so this is not the best answer.

any suggestions, thanks.

2. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Rip the titles in DVD Decrypter (freeware), set to IFO mode with 'file splitting' set to 'None'.

Import the resulting .vob files (each representing one title) into Womble MPEG Video Wizard (one month's free trial).

Drag and drop the 'Input' window content onto the timeline.

Drag them all together then export to MPEG2.

Then you need to author a DVD using the single MPEG2 file. My personal preference is for Ulead DVD Movie Factory 3 Disc Creator, but many prefer TMPGenc. I can't offer a comparative opinion, I'm afraid, on this latter point.

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Fully agree with musukebba, use DVD Decypter. You can find a guide on how to rip (your own) DVDs to your PC HDD here. You can then import into editting software. Musukebba suggests Womble - which is indeed a good edittor - but as you have the Toshiba RDXS32 may I recommend Pegasys TMPG MPEG Editor as this is fully DVD-RAM compatible should you wish to continue using the software after you have 'converted' the DVD+RW in question.

You can then author into a DVD authoring programme - you'll find a guide for authoring DVDs in TMPG Encoder here - although as musukebba says such programmes are a matter of personnel taste. Ulead ( www.ulead.com ) products tend to be more powerful, TMPG Encoder Author (available from the Pegasys link above) is easy.

4. trainspotter

trainspotter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks very much, i shall investigate these applications.