-RW playback

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Pete M, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Pete M

Pete M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Still thinking of buying a Panny E85 but I have heard that it doesn't support -RW playback.

This seems a little strange to me because I may wish to record something for a relatively short period of time but not a) to the HD or b) forever (when I would use -R format) and I could not oplay it back to watch and then eventually overwrite.

Is this true.? Has anyone met this situation.?

Caio :hiya:

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    The Panasonic E85 records to the HDD, DVD-RAM and DVD-R. It will play DVD-RW recorded in other machines but not record to it.

DVD-RAM will do this for you - although in reality you'll just use the HDD. If you want DVD-RW support look at the Toshiba RDXS32 or wait for Panasonic's new EH50 (due April).

If your unsure about the differences between the formats have a look at the 'Which DVD Recorder?' link in my signature.

3. Pete M

Pete M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Rasczak

Find many of your posts interesting but sometimes over my head.

Don't think I could run to the EH50 but it does sound good. When I finally decide it will be either the Tosh RDXS32 or the E85 I think.

Cheers.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    The EH50 is the replacement for the E85 so will be priced in the same region - although will not be discounted like the E85 is at present until it gets 'older'.

If you want basic DVD recorder buying advice take a look at the 'Which DVD Recorder?' link in my signature.

5. anna the dub

anna the dub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12

Or you could look at the Pioneer range, which do support -RW, and also provide chase play on x2 -RW media

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    ...but don't have component, progressive scan, 3hrs full resolution recording or DVD-Audio support. The Pioneer's are certainly worthy of consideration - as the Sony range (and the already mentioned Toshiba) - but as the original poster asked about Panasonic models in particular I didn't see the need to give the whole 'dit'.

For general DVD recorder buying advice take a look at the 'Which DVD Recorder?' thread in my signature.

7. Pete M

Pete M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RASCZAK your the man ..

Could you please explain the various codings for the Panni 85 ie. E85-HEB-S or just E85.

Are the different codings important from the point of view of spec differences??

Be glad of your comments.

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Always glad to be of help!

I wouldn't get too stressed about the various letter combinations used to describe the units. The correct model number for UK models is the DMR-E85HE - although you rarely see the E - for Europe - added in the title. You may see an 'S' added as well to indicate Silver (only Silver is available in the UK, but in Europe Black is also available). You may also see 'EBS' added to the description - this was originally used in the description of the E10, E20 and E30 recorders and then dropped although some retailers have kept it - I didn't have a clue what it meant way back then, and I still don't have a clue. I would suggest it is not important. Likewise you also see a variety of letters used to describe a multi-region model.

Bottomline - don't worry - order from a UK supplier and you'll get the correct model!

9. Pete M

Pete M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rasczak

Thanks for your reply. Speaking of UK suppliers how do you rate the following - all of which are offering the E85 @ £320 - £340

Digital Direct, Sound & Vision, AJ Electronics, and RicherSounds.

I just a bit wary of parting with £300+ on the net.

Caio

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Never used any of them so it would be unfair to comment. Quite a few buyers here have used Richer Sounds though.

11. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I do it all the time... just make sure you use a credit card as aposed to a charge card to pay, then you should be covered if something goes wrong