1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

+RW - It works

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Norman, Dec 4, 2001.

1. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    I've just installed a Ricoh DVD+RW writer into my PC and I am totally impressed with the results.
    I need it to archive my Digital Camcorder material onto DVD, but I want the DVD copy to work in a standard player, so the Pioneer DVD-RW and Panasonics DVD-RAM writers were not an option.
    The Philips/Sony/Ricoh/HP etc DVD+RW alternative is advertised as being player compatible - and it is. I have now tried my self-made DVD (on a DVD+RW disc) in several players ranging from my Sony 7700 to a friends Yamaha S795.

Then I thought the unthinkable. With suitable software, can you, um, err, (you know what I mean) and will the copy work?

YES IT DOES!!!!

I'll say no more.

2. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I was planning to purchase this particular drive I found your comments very helpful. Thanks

3. boogie man

boogie man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    possible try nero burn 5.5.5.4 some where in the setup you can burn to dvd

4. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    Boogie Man

Copyrighted DVD's use CLS encryption to stop direct copying (unlike an ondinary audio CD), so it’s not a simple case of backing up one disc to another or copy it's contents to another disk.
    The content must first be ripped from the DVD to your hard disk using a freeware utility like cladMdec. This utility also removes macrovision and region code information.

I want to make it very clear to anyone reading this post that I was only interested to see if copying was possible. Yes, DVD+RW is Hollywood’s nightmare come true. It does allow us to copy video DVD’s, but personally I do not condone software piracy and I will not be using my DVD+RW drive for this purpose. If people do start to abuse this technology then the DVD Video standard we all love may suffer if Hollywood’s support for it drops.

It’s also worth pointing out that any top DVD video title can be purchased on-line for £12-£16. This buys you an original disc with full content, nice case and documentation. A blank DVD+RW disc costs about £10 and will only hold the film if the original is on a dual layer DVD (DVD+RW is only single sided 4.7Gb).

COPYING VIDEO DVD’s DOESN’T MAKE FINANCIAL SENSE – SO DON’T DO IT.

5. boogie man

boogie man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    sorry if i upset you but i though you wanted to no if there are burn programs to do it ....:eek: ... i myself will only buy dvd as you said sorry if i got the wrong end of the stick ... as you said they are only £12 - £18 on the net thxs

6. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    You didn't upset me. Thanks for the input.
    I had already worked out and tested how to copy and just wanted to pass on my findings.
    Once again, thanks for your input.