Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

-RW: Initialise or Erase ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dmjohnson123, Feb 2, 2005.

1. dmjohnson123

dmjohnson123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have a pioneer 220s and was just wondering if either is best for longevity/reliability of my -RW discs.

So, once I've watched a recording is it best to just erase the titles or initialize the disc to prepare my disc for my next recordings ?

2. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    Hi

If you are using DVD-RW in VR mode, it is almost certainly better to delete the title, rather than re-initialise the disc.

The recorder will keep a record on the disc of any bad areas it finds during use, and just deleting the title will ensure it keeps that record on the disc, rather than lose it, and then having to discover all the bad areas again. (In theory re-initialising the disc will also keep this record as well, it should only be lost if you erase on a computer, or re-initialise the disc to DVD Video mode then back to VR mode again.)

Deleting the title is also quicker. Having been a user of DVD-RW for 3 years now, I have always just deleted titles, and never had a problem, with some discs never having be re-initialised in that 3 years and those same discs still going strong.

Regards

Philip