Rustic Sound Lounge

wmilner

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

After a long period of inactivity on these fine forums and a rather damaging weekend on my wallet, I thought it would be apt share the results of a little retail therapy. I currently live with SWMBO in a 100 year old 2 bed cottage in the middle of a field, hence the title “Rustic Sound Lounge”.

Last year I embarked on a DIY project to replace our TV stand and coffee table with something more fitting for our humble abode. I ended up making the furniture myself and am really happy with the results. If interested please see the furniture build thread here: Homemade Chunky AV Bench and Coffee Table | AVForums

Anyway, enough of that boring stuff! This is the new kit list for my 5.1 system:

Visual Equipment:
  • Panasonic TXP50G10B
  • HTPC
  • Panasonic DMP-BD77EB-K
Audio Equipment:
  • Av Receiver – Yamaha RX-V775
  • Center Speaker – Tannoy DC4 LCR
  • Front Pair – 2x Tannoy DC6 T
  • Rear Pair – 2x Tannoy DC6 T
  • Subwoofer – BKelec Gemini Mk2
Interconnects and Remote Control:
  • Remote – Logitech Harmony One
  • HDMI Cables – 3x Belkin
  • Optical Cable – Belkin
  • Speaker Cable – Geftix 12 AWG 4mm Studio Grade Cable
  • Banana Plugs – Cambridge Audio
Networking:
  • Switching – 2x Cisco 8port Smart Switches
  • ADSL – 7mb Plusnet
  • Router – Belkin
  • Powerline – 2x Netgear 500mbps
HTPC:
  • OS – Openelec 4.0 (XBMC)
  • Processor - Intel i7 2600K
  • Motherboard – Intel DH67BL
  • GFX – nVidia GeForce GT 620
  • RAM – 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz G.Skill
  • SSD – Kingston 60gb V200+
  • Case – Novatech Vision
Server:
  • HP Microserver N40L
  • OS – Windows Server 2012 R2
  • Boot HDD – Kingston 60gb V200+
  • HDD – 16TB
Onto some pictures:

I hope you like it and can take some inspiration...

Old:

Old.jpg

New:

New Toys.jpg

Wide.jpg

Wide 2.jpg

Sub.jpg

Banana Plugs.jpg

Rear.jpg

Front wonky.jpg

Front wonky2.jpg

funky colours.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a nice little setup, something I'd be more than happy with when we get our new house.

I see you've also got your priorities sorted, a plate of crumpets! Lol

Lovely, good use of the space. Like the subtle LED lighting, too :)

I'd recommend trying to raise the centre though - even angled upward a lot of sound will likely be deflected by the coffee table. Worth experimenting with a stack of books under it.

Looks like a nice little setup, something I'd be more than happy with when we get our new house.

I see you've also got your priorities sorted, a plate of crumpets! Lol

Damn right they were dealt with swiftly! But I highly recommend the tannoys coupled with an amp on the warm side like the Yamaha. The soundstage is just incredible.

Lovely, good use of the space. Like the subtle LED lighting, too :)

I'd recommend trying to raise the centre though - even angled upward a lot of sound will likely be deflected by the coffee table. Worth experimenting with a stack of books under it.

Thanks! Good tip I actually moved the coffee table and did notice a difference.... So I think I will raise it up. I have some spare timber from a couple of gate posts I converted to lamps which I might use. On a side note here is the lamps I made:

Attachments

• 1400398736355.jpg
    1400398736355.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 266
  • 1400398758579.jpg
    1400398758579.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 265
  • 1400398776375.jpg
    1400398776375.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 270
Oh and woke up to the sound of these cheeky chaps this morning... Freeloading in my kitchen wall disrupting the ambient sound levels.... Good job they are cute.

Attachments

• 1400399371631.jpg
    1400399371631.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 267
Thanks! Good tip I actually moved the coffee table and did notice a difference.... So I think I will raise it up. I have some spare timber from a couple of gate posts I converted to lamps which I might use. On a side note here is the lamps I made:

I was thinking some kind of hanging shelf from the underside of the table top might look best. I really like those rustic lamps though, wish I was good with or had the inclination to do that kind of thing! :rolleyes:

Mate, absolutely love the whole look of your room. Would love to live in a cottage.

It is a pleasure to live in a cottage... One added benefit is that our nearest neighbours are about 1/2 a mile away... So volume isn't an issue. Woo hoo!

Nice setup! :thumbsup:

Mounting a TV on a wall and the centre speakers over the stand is not an option?

Good shout; I can't wait to do this when I move into my first house in just 2 weeks time! I've been renting for the past 6 or so years and I've just made do with a (big!) cantilever-type stand.

I had no idea about this kind of limitation on rental agreements.

It's generally in the Ts&Cs of all lease agreements, but TBH if you covered up the holes and painted over it when you leave there would be no complaints. Just always seemed like too much hassle, and I'd bought the stand already when I was at my parents' house years ago and wasn't allowed to drill holes in the wall then :)

Always a dilemma – TV a bit higher than ideal or Centre a bit lower than ideal. Having gone to the extent of having Dual Concentric drivers it sort of ‘spoils’ the concept to have the Centre so far out of line with the Front LR Drivers!

I notice you have the Red and Black wires swapped on the close up of the rear of the speakers – have you done a phase check?

Joe

Always a dilemma – TV a bit higher than ideal or Centre a bit lower than ideal. Having gone to the extent of having Dual Concentric drivers it sort of ‘spoils’ the concept to have the Centre so far out of line with the Front LR Drivers!

I notice you have the Red and Black wires swapped on the close up of the rear of the speakers – have you done a phase check?

Joe

Yeah as they are new I ran some pink noise through them for a few hours with the two pairs facing each other and two running out of phase. (Yes we went out as it is horrid)

Nice setup! :thumbsup:

Mounting a TV on a wall and the centre speakers over the stand is not an option?

Would love to mount it, but its a rental unfortunately! I also hate having the cables trailing round the edge of the room. Especially as the speaker cable soo thick!

I had no idea about this kind of limitation on rental agreements.
Anyway, good job on the bench and the coffee table.

Thanks dude! I loved making them, so cathartic to do something productive with a natural material like timber.

Little tip for angling the speakers up, buy a couple of black doorstoppers off Amazon or wherever. They work a treat and have made such a difference to my home cinema setup. :)

Nice kit! :)

Little tip for angling the speakers up, buy a couple of black doorstoppers off Amazon or wherever. They work a treat and have made such a difference to my home cinema setup. :)

Nice kit! :)

Good Shout. I already have a couple... going to give it a test.

Thanks! Now everything has run-in a bit... the sound stage (I know douchey) has opened up massively. LOVE IT

On a side note.... Manually calibrated everything with a SPL meter too and WOW what a difference. Cant recommend them enough!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom