rust advisory problems on MOT

Mirella

Novice Member
Reaction score
im about to buy a 7 year old Ford B Max car with rust advisory problems mentioned on MOT
re breaks and suspension i really like the car but will I be buying a problem car?
Car dealer offered to fit new break pads free of charge. I just dont know if it is safe
or will I then be spending lots of money to repair the car later on. they will give me a 6 month
warranty 3 star cover. Any suggestions please? very much appreciated.

What's the Registration? Rust on brakes would point to the brake lines which changing pads won't make any difference down the line.

Upvote 0
What exactly was the advisory?

Upvote 0
What's the Registration?
This. The MOT report is no secret, and 'we' can all view past MOTs on the DVLA website to gauge the car's care history, and see what it is the tester has flagged up.

Upvote 1
replacing brake pads won’t fix the rust problem. brake pads are cheap as well so dealer not really doing anything special for you there.

I did have a rust advisory on the Honda jazz I inherited from my dad last year. I got it up on ramps, wire brushed and treated it and now fixed For years to come (next mot no advisory) Just depends how bad the rust is and what it’s on.

but yea, give us the reg and we’ll see what we can see 😁

Upvote 0
im about to buy a 7 year old Ford B Max car with rust advisory problems mentioned on MOT
re breaks and suspension i really like the car but will I be buying a problem car?
Car dealer offered to fit new break pads free of charge. I just dont know if it is safe
or will I then be spending lots of money to repair the car later on. they will give me a 6 month
warranty 3 star cover. Any suggestions please? very much appreciated.

What exactly was the advisory?
  • SUSPENSION AND BRAKING COMPONENTS CORRODED this is what appears on the MOT report done last December. The car has not been moved since from the car dealers.

Upvote 0
Thanks, that's a bit vague unfortunately, so could refer to any number of different parts, some easy to sort, some expensive. If you like it, it may be worth getting an independent engineers report and ask them to specifically look at that.

Upvote 0
What's the Registration? Rust on brakes would point to the brake lines which changing pads won't make any difference down the line.
SL13 GMG this is the report on the MOT (advisories) done last December when the card dealers acquired the car
  • SUSPENSION AND BRAKING COMPONENTS CORRODED

Upvote 0
Thanks, that's a bit vague unfortunately, so could refer to any number of different parts, some easy to sort, some expensive. If you like it, it may be worth getting an independent engineers report and ask them to specifically look at that.
thank you very much for your advice it is the first time i buy a car and so many questions to ask
especially being a 7 year old car - my main concern is safety and reliability. thanks again !!!

Upvote 0
I see that it was also MOT'd in June when it got:
  • Front Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (1.1.14 (a) (ii))
So the current advisory could just be referring to that.

Upvote 0
replacing brake pads won’t fix the rust problem. brake pads are cheap as well so dealer not really doing anything special for you there.

I did have a rust advisory on the Honda jazz I inherited from my dad last year. I got it up on ramps, wire brushed and treated it and now fixed For years to come (next mot no advisory) Just depends how bad the rust is and what it’s on.

but yea, give us the reg and we’ll see what we can see 😁
Hi thanks for message you could be right as the car has not been moved since beginning of December. it makes sense what you said. May have to get someone to do what you suggested. thanks again!

Upvote 0
See you can pick out a lot from the MOT history.
You can see the typical annual mileage (consistently 6000-7000) which proves the low 42000 is believable; the registration date (which makes it nearer to 8 years old), that may be important if Ford gave that model a facelift or feature upgrade around then.
And some time spent SORN (in May 2020) or where it was driven without an MOT; from the previous MOTs in early May, and the up to 13-month validity when MOTed early (in this case 12 months and 1 week - 29th April 2019 to 4th May 2020), it would have run out before the test on 2nd June 2020. Of course it might have been on dealer's premises at the time too.

But yes, several months of standing unused is certain to have allowed surface rust to form on the bare-metal components underneath, which should brush off if not with a little effort, with actual driving.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As said above, possibly just some surface rust forming on suspension arms and braking components (metal brake lines and brake hose ferrules possibly?).

Probably the tester just noting it as an advisory to cover himself.

Upvote 0
The tester wants shooting for using the word corroded, it should be rusting, the only way to know is to get someone to check it and report, it can't be seen from an internet forum.

Upvote 0
Sounds like it needs new front discs and pads if they weren't changed since June. I'd take a mechanical minded friend to have a look over it. Check all the consumables like tyres also, nothing worse then buying a car and having to spend money in the first few months of ownership.

Upvote 0
Sounds like it needs new front discs and pads if they weren't changed since June. I'd take a mechanical minded friend to have a look over it. Check all the consumables like tyres also, nothing worse then buying a car and having to spend money in the first few months of ownership.
Very good points thanks!

Upvote 0
As said above, possibly just some surface rust forming on suspension arms and braking components (metal brake lines and brake hose ferrules possibly?).

Probably the tester just noting it as an advisory to cover himself.
Thanks!!
See you can pick out a lot from the MOT history.
You can see the typical annual mileage (consistently 6000-7000) which proves the low 42000 is believable; the registration date (which makes it nearer to 8 years old), that may be important if Ford gave that model a facelift or feature upgrade around then.
And some time spent SORN (in May 2020) or where it was driven without an MOT; from the previous MOTs in early May, and the up to 13-month validity when MOTed early (in this case 12 months and 1 week - 29th April 2019 to 4th May 2020), it would have run out before the test on 2nd June 2020. Of course it might have been on dealer's premises at the time too.

But yes, several months of standing unused is certain to have allowed surface rust to form on the bare-metal components underneath, which should brush off if not with a little effort, with actual driving.
Thank u very much for your comments very useful indeed.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom