1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Russian Panasonic E55 DVD recorder.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by GrahamC, Oct 9, 2004.

1. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I have a Panasonic E55 DVD recorder that is connected to a Skybox. Now the picture that it records is Red, totally Red. When this recording is played back it is Red. A commercial DVD plays as it should, full colour. All connections are set to RGB (Sky scart/AV1 out/ AV2 input) with good quality Ixos and Thor cables used. So anybody have any pearls of wisdom before I get onto my supplier on Monday. :confused:

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    Double check the connection is firmly secured into the back of the DVD recorder and the Sky unit. If this yields no results then try switching cables - it could be one of the Scart pins broke when you connected them.

3. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Thanks Rasczak for the reply, double and triple checked those things so I am sure its not that.

4. Boxadog

Boxadog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi GrahamC

I have had this problem. If you have set AV2 of your E55 to RGB and plug it into the VCR SCART socket of your Sky box you will get a totally red picture. The VCR SCART of the Sky box is composite video only, why there is a signal on the "Red" pin of the SCART socket I do not know but you can only record in composite from this connection.

If you want to use RGB for recording you need to connect as follows:

E55 SCART 1 to TV
    E55 SCART 2 to Sky TV SCART
    Nothing in Sky VCR SCART

Disadvantages are you either need to switch E55 to AV2 or switch E55 to standby to watch Sky.
    You can't record from the internal tuner of the E55 whilst watching Sky unless you make a connection from the Sky VCR SCART socket to the TV but this will be composite only.

5. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Very interesting Boxadog. I was looking at the circuit diagrams for my first generation Pace Digibox only a couple of days ago and it looked like AV2 was also wired up for RGB output!

Is it only disabled in software I wonder?

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    they may use fully wired sockets for the second scart as bulking them is cheaper than buying one of each.....it is the feed from chips to sockets that matters..... perhaps there is a simple mod as the RGB output uses compsite as sync they will be most probably from the same source.....

7. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Looking more closely the RGB wiring for AV2 is odd!

The Red output is the only one with 75ohms in series.

G & B on the other hand have 75ohms to earth (terminations) but all three are connected to ICs.

I'll let someone else be the first to get in with a soldering iron. :)

8. Boxadog

Boxadog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, johnjackthom,

I have not seen a circuit diagram for my Pace box, it may be just as well as I am too handy with a soldering iron!! Don't know why there is a signal on the Red output or where it comes from. It baffled me for a while until I RTFM and found the output on the VCR SCART was composite only. It is strange that the red pin has a different termination arrangement as the socket will take an RGB input and I would have expected the RGB pins to be treated electrically the same. I know the RGB input does work correctly because playback from my E55 when plugged into the VCR SCART of the Pace box blanks the Sky picture and switches the RGB through to the TV, and it definately is RGB!

There must have been a reason in someones mind when the circuit was designed. Wonder what it was?