russian music site

L

lisa burrell

This Lithuanian guy at work was saying that his sister who lives hear in England subscribes to a Russian music download site and paid 10 ten Dollars in advance. when you log on the site it tells you how much credit you have left. And each song cost .. ten cents to download.. But another source tells me this site never paid any copyright to any one in fact Where it goes. well that's another matter.

Do you think its all right or wrong to use this site. you have joined paid your money. in good faith. theoretically you have done nothing wrong!

Do all you guys no it exists? It sounds a hell of good loophole for downloading music cheaply.

I'm guessing he was talking about allofmp3.com

The site works and sells music on the cheap. You load up your account with money and then pick an artist, album etc then select the tracks you want, and finally select what quality you want. The higher the quality, the more it will cost. CD-DA quality downloads are available on most of their newer stuff.

The legality is still a grey area I think. The last time I read up on it was when it last cropped up in the news a few months ago as it was being eyed-up once again for selling copyrighted material outside of Russia.

Apparently (-read "from what I have understood from the articles about the issue") they pay royalties to some Russian music federation or something who are then responsible for distributing the bargain basement royalites to artists but these royalties don't cover sales outside of Russia. I may be wrong but this is what I came to understand of the matter :)

allofmp3 is NOT legal in this country, there is no grey area about the legality of this company.

Yes it is. There have been many discussions about this in the MP3 forum and so someone contacted the BPI who confirmed that is is illegal. Many countries including the UK and the USA are trying to get the Russians to close down this site.

lisa burrell said:
Do you think its all right or wrong to use this site. you have joined paid your money. in good faith. theoretically you have done nothing wrong!

The law is an ass and to tell you the truth no one gives a ****. Go ahead and use up your credit.

pack man said:
The law is an ass and to tell you the truth no one gives a ****. Go ahead and use up your credit.

Indeed, only a miniscule amount of royalties from online and Physical CD sales makes it anyway near the artist.

Support your favorite artists by going to see them live if you feel pangs of guilt.

JohnG said:
Yes it is. There have been many discussions about this in the MP3 forum and so someone contacted the BPI who confirmed that is is illegal. Many countries including the UK and the USA are trying to get the Russians to close down this site.

Hmm... are you certain the BPI said "this is illegal", rather than saying something very verbose that strongly implied it was illegal without ever acctually saying it?

Lawrenzini said:
Hmm... are you certain the BPI said "this is illegal", rather than saying something very verbose that strongly implied it was illegal without ever acctually saying it?
BPI are alleging that it is "illegal" - they are suing
- doesn't mean they are necessarily right the greedy bastards (remember how they've fought over the years to maintain UK rip-off prices!!)

http://digital-lifestyles.info/display_page.asp?section=business&id=3436
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5140788.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5051826.stm

taken from the above....

BPI General Counsel Roz Groome on Tuesday told the House of Commons culture, media and sport select committee that allofmp3.com's claims to be legal were false.

"We are going to sue allofmp3.com in the UK courts - we are going to seek a judgement not against the users of the site, but against the site itself," she said.

The BPI revealed it intended to take the owners of allofmp3.com to court at a hearing of the Parliamentary Culture Media & Sport Select Committee last month. It is not planning to sue users of the site.

Copyright lawyers say that, even if the BPI obtains a verdict that the website is illegal, it might have "enormous practical difficulties" enforcing the ruling in Moscow.

Basically the BPI are flogging a dead horse, their actions against allofmp3 will never come to life. They keep publicising legal threats against the site to "Scare" some potential users into staying away.

don't feel too bad about using allofmp3 though, it's the UK's second most popular music download site.

It never ceases to amaze me how many excuses people will make up to try and download music illegally :(

JohnG said:
It never ceases to amaze me how many excuses people will make up to try and download music illegally :(

:smashin: Exactly. Would you lot work for a tenth of your hourly rate?

Thought not. Robbing B*****s :nono:

I'd happily let people listen to my music for free / next to nothing... and pay to see me in concert....

Doubt anyone would turn up, but I'd do it for free...

JohnG said:

I'm always suprised that people still use the "if it was cheaper then I'd pay for it" excuse. You can get most cd's now for under a tenner and people still moan that they're a rip off and download instead.

For the amount of time and enjoyment that I get out of listening to a cd I think under a tenner is a fair price to pay.

JohnG said:

The fact that the music industry has said it is NOT planning to sue users of this site means its not illegal for people to use the site.

chrisw said:
I'd happily let people listen to my music for free / next to nothing... and pay to see me in concert....

Doubt anyone would turn up, but I'd do it for free...
Even if it was your only source of income?

pack man said:
The fact that the music industry has said it is NOT planning to sue users of this site means its not illegal for people to use the site.

Not pressing charges and whether or not something is illegal or not are two different things as far as I know.

The problems with this site comes with the grey area in the Russian law not British. As mentioned earlier it's illegal here, but not entirely illegal in russia hence the problems that the british record companies are having with sueing/closing it down.

So if you have any soul at all you will not use this site.

On the other hand I have used this site myself once or twice when I absouletly could not get my hands on a song any other way. I'm also hampered by the fact my MP3 player wont play songs that have DRM on them so I can't buy tunes from Napster or Itunes.

And maybe I should get locked up also as half the 300 albulms on my player are rips of CD's my mate has bought out of proper shops. But then I wouldn't have bought them anyway.

Slap the cuffs on.

sleepyone said:
On the other hand I have used this site myself once or twice when I absouletly could not get my hands on a song any other way. I'm also hampered by the fact my MP3 player wont play songs that have DRM on them so I can't buy tunes from Napster or Itunes.

I used to have that problem or rather I thought that I did. All you need to do is burn the music to a cd and then re-rip it and it'll work on any mp3 player.

WibXL said:
Not pressing charges and whether or not something is illegal or not are two different things as far as I know.
A law which is not enforced is not a law. Maybe someone should phone their local police station and tell them you know someone who is breaking the law by downloading music from a russian site, on the cheap :)

I'm no expert on the law but I would think this is not a policing matter, its between the copyright owner and the infringer.

But its nice to see so many people sticking up for large corporations that worship profit and have no morals.

WibXL said:
I used to have that problem or rather I thought that I did. All you need to do is burn the music to a cd and then re-rip it and it'll work on any mp3 player.

Ah, but have you not just broken the law yourself anyway by bypassing the protection?

sleepyone said:
Ah, but have you not just broken the law yourself anyway by bypassing the protection?

No Itunes and Napster both allow you to burn a limited number of cd's of the music you have purchased.

So you can then rip it back to your PC, unistall itunes and carry on happily ever after?

Nice :thumbsup:

pack man said:
But its nice to see so many people sticking up for large corporations that worship profit and have no morals.

Another one who seems to have conveniently forgotten about the artist/writers.:rolleyes:

pack man said:
A law which is not enforced is not a law. Maybe someone should phone their local police station and tell them you know someone who is breaking the law by downloading music from a russian site, on the cheap :)

I'm no expert on the law but I would think this is not a policing matter, its between the copyright owner and the infringer.

To be honest I don't have a clue but commen sense says to me that it's still a law, then again commen sense and law don't always go hand in hand and again I'm not sure if it's a criminal or civil matter but I know that the police arn't exactly going to be bothered unless it's some kind of huge pirating ring.

pack man said:

I'm not sticking up for the record labels I'm just saying that I think that under a tenner is a fair price to pay for something that I'll get tens of hours of enjoyment out of and it still suprises me that people use cost as an excuse.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom