Russian/Eastern cigarettes

Cocksure

Hi,
I know this isn't exactly the right forum for this question but I'm not sure were else to post :(

I've been smoking marlboro red for many years now and of late I am starting to find them lacking in punch and hit. I believe that in America they have cut the nicotine in them and I suspect that they have done the same in the UK and cut the tar also :( so it's time to change brand.

With the anti smoking movement in Europe and USA, I have little faith that the same hasn't already happened or will soon happen again to any other western brand. So I've decided to go eastern. :)

Are there any former Russian etc brand smokers on here that can recommend a Eastern brand that has a strong tar, nicotine level, that will knock you off your feet? That I can try :)

rousetafarian

This certainly isn't the correct forum, moving to GC which is slightly more appropriate.

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
I seem to recall reading that American Spirit cigarettes were up there with the worst.

Cocksure

I seem to recall reading that American Spirit cigarettes were up there with the worst.
I've been taking a look at them as they are readily sold in the UK by tobacconists. I wasn't sure if they had reduced the level though.

I will order a pack and give them a try

Cocksure

How about French? Citanes?
Thank I shall take a look at them.

The French certainly used to know how to make strong cigarettes :love:, so assuming eu regulations have altered them, then they are also worth a try.

I've ordered a pack of American Spirit blue which even though there weaker here then the US are still stronger than marlboro, and I'm happy to order a few more packs to I find my new brand.

If I know the brands I can check them out, it's just finding the brands :(

So thanks for all the posts :)

DemonAV

Distinguished Member
Go to any dodgy Turkish supermarket and buy 200 bootlegged LM cigarettes. They're packed with wood shavings and rat dung so they'll def give you a good throat hit. And they're cheap, 200 for a fiver [emoji28]

Cocksure

How about French? Citanes?
Alas Gitanes have gone the same as Marlboro (7mg tar) :( any other ideas? :)

So far the strongest i have found in the uk are American spirit blue (which are weaker than the usa version at 9mg tar) and Dunlop International (10mg tar)

Have even sent an email to Philip Morris about it

DCMMM

Banned
Go to any dodgy Turkish supermarket and buy 200 bootlegged LM cigarettes. They're packed with wood shavings and rat dung so they'll def give you a good throat hit. And they're cheap, 200 for a fiver [emoji28]
I've been smoking L&M's for over 20 years and haven't had a snide sleeve yet.

DemonAV

Distinguished Member
Either that or Nederwiet :) I rolled about 60 per day, helping my sister in her coffee shop...
Pre rolled, nice. Managed to get some decent solid when I was over there on kings day in the spring. I was a very happy chappie [emoji4]

Jezza99

Banned
Alas Gitanes have gone the same as Marlboro (7mg tar) :( any other ideas? :)

So far the strongest i have found in the uk are American spirit blue (which are weaker than the usa version at 9mg tar) and Dunlop International (10mg tar)

Have even sent an email to Philip Morris about it
You see lower tar as a bad thing? :eek: Looking at those American Spirit fags, the levels of nicotine are insane - if they don't give you a hit, I don't know what will. Are Capstan extra strength no longer available? I seem to remember them being the strongest on sale. I never tried them, I did try some russian fags and they were absolutely disgusting.

Better off packing it in, then you won't need any hit ;)

IIRC, the American authorities have announced a drive towards lowering the levels of nicotine in fags to a non addictive level, which would be pretty low.

EDIT

According to wiki (who knows), in the UK fags have been limited to 10mg tar and 1mg nicotine since 2004

Capstan (cigarette) - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Cocksure

You see lower tar as a bad thing?

IIRC, the American authorities have announced a drive towards lowering the levels of nicotine in fags to a non addictive level, which would be pretty low.
Low tar is like low nicotine, in theory it's a wonderful idea, in practice it doesn't work.

Marlboro I believe have cut the nicotine level (don't know about the tar) in USA cigs to 0.2mg and found that instead of sales going down they went up as people smoked more to get same level of nicotine fix.

Same goes with low tar cigs, lower the tar, the harder the drawer people took. It's the reason why the terms low and medium cigarettes term where band as low tar cigs were shown to be no safer than high tar.

I would love to be able to get my hands on the high tar 12mg plus as that is where the taste is and more than 1mg nicotine, because as we both know the nicotine is the fix. All the low nicotine cigarettes are doing is causing me to smoke more now not less.

As daft as it might sound, high tar/nicotine cigs are the "safer" option

Edit
Do you remember Gauloises cigarettes? Very dark Turkish tobacco, 17mg tar 1.3mg nicotine :love: I never once managed to smoke more than half a cigs, real feet knockers :)

Last edited:

wilbanat

Distinguished Member
Just marking my place in the thread, think of it like I put a towel on my chair :rotfl:

Low tar is like low nicotine, in theory it's a wonderful idea, in practice it doesn't work.

Marlboro I believe have cut the nicotine level (don't know about the tar) in USA cigs to 0.2mg and found that instead of sales going down they went up as people smoked more to get same level of nicotine fix.

Same goes with low tar cigs, lower the tar, the harder the drawer people took. It's the reason why the terms low and medium cigarettes term where band as low tar cigs were shown to be no safer than high tar.

I would love to be able to get my hands on the high tar 12mg plus as that is where the taste is and more than 1mg nicotine, because as we both know the nicotine is the fix. All the low nicotine cigarettes are doing is causing me to smoke more now not less.

Edit
Do you remember Gauloises cigarettes? Very dark Turkish tobacco, 17mg tar 1.3mg nicotine :love: I never once managed to smoke more than half a cigs, real feet knockers :)
Those were my staple when I was a student at Uni :)

Also don't forget the Indonesian cigarettes. Kretek can be quite good if my memory serves me right.

Jezza99

Banned

Edit
Yeah I get that, i remember someone giving me a Silk Cut ultra light once and it was like smoking fresh air. It's just a bit brave to actively seek out high tar rather than high nicotine, although I guess the two are inextricably linked (I don't know the science).

I did once try a Gauloises, although even when I smoked I thought they stank like sweaty feet. Unfortunately, they didn't taste any better.

Cocksure

It's partly because as you say high tar and high nicotine go hand in hand. Don't know why. And it's also because I enjoy cigars every so often, so a strong taste is really important.

I have thought about switching to the nicotine only quitting stick you can get, but then you lose the taste which is 30% of the pleasure (as well as other pleasure losses)

Jezza99

Banned
It's partly because as you say high tar and high nicotine go hand in hand. Don't know why. And it's also because I enjoy cigars every so often, so a strong taste is really important.

I have thought about switching to the nicotine only quitting stick you can get, but then you lose the taste which is 30% of the pleasure (as well as other pleasure losses)
What, these? :eek:
NICORETTE® Inhalator

They truly are the spawn of the devil, guaranteed to put you off quitting for life. In fact, all NRT products just keep you addicted without giving you the hit, so you will almost certainly end up going back to the fags. Doctors know FA about quitting smoking, most of them have never had to try.

Jezza99

Banned
Thats the one :eek:

Tried once and never again :laugh:
Yeah I'm not surprised. If/when you ever decide to quit, then whatever you do, don't use any nicotine replacements. Just stop.

Cocksure

It what i always do, going cold turkey is no harder than using nicotine replacement products, if anything it is easier as you only have to hold out for a few days.

Its the not going back which is the hard bit :(

Jezza99

Banned
It what i always do, going cold turkey is no harder than using nicotine replacement products, if anything it is easier as you only have to hold out for a few days.

Its the not going back which is the hard bit :(
You're right, it is much easier in the long term than using NRT. As for not going back to the fags, that's the mental challenge. If you feel you have "given up" something, you will still feel deprived. If you feel you have achieved a massive gain, you will not feel the need to go back to something negative.

I don't mean that to sound trite, you need to find that mental trigger for everything to drop into place. Don't beat yourself up if you try and don't succeed - it's not a failure, it's just a deferred success :)

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020

Latest News

Melco anniversary edition N10 library announced
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Denon, Marantz and Yamaha AV receivers hit by HDMI 2.1 bug
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published