Russian DVD queries

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry to be annoying, with all these damn questions, but I have another query.

I read a review of the "Solaris" DVD (the Andrei Tarkovsky version) in a DVD book called "DVD Delirium", which was published last year by FAB Press. (Superb book, I might add!)

Anyway, they recommend the Region 0, NTSC Russian double-disc version of "Solaris", available on a Russian DVD label called "RUSCICO".

Has anyone heard of this company, and/or know where and how I can get hold of this particular release, please?

Thanks,

Pooch

No help, I'm afraid! But it seems odd that the Rooskies should issue a NTSC flavour disc (their TV system is Secam - or was, the last time I checked).

Originally posted by PoochJD

Anyway, they recommend the Region 0, NTSC Russian double-disc version of "Solaris", available on a Russian DVD label called "RUSCICO".

RUSCICO (the russian cinema council) make 2 releases, one PAL and one NTSC. Their website http://www.ruscico.com

They offer a subscription service to get a discount. With Solaris the normal price is around $35 but if you subscribe you get it for $25 but then you have to buy the rest of the collection (about 120 russian movies)

Why not just get the UK version that was released by Artifical Eye as they licensed the PAL version form Ruscico.

Criterion have also released it in the US

Comparison details: http://www.dvdcompare.org.uk/comparisons/film_results_page.php?fid=2249

Hi,

Well, I don't actually intend getting this film on DVD at the moment, but from reading that book, it was just something I'd never heard of before.

The film was on FilmFour last night, so I taped it then. But, having heard that the various releases of the DVD was split over two discs, thus forcing people to change the disc halfway through the film, and the Criterion one not being too great either (as it had a Mono only soundtrack, compared to DD 5.1 on the other releases, but superior extras), I just wondered who this "Ruscico" was, and what other DVD's they have done.

Anyway, thanks for the help! At least I now know who "Ruscico" are! And, like "Rewind" say, it appears to be a tough choice!

Shame then, that Warner Bros can release the Director's Cut of "JFK" with a DD5.1 soundtrack on a single-sided, dual-layered DVD, with a running time of 3hrs 25 minutes, and yet "Solaris" at less than 3 hours, is split over two discs!

Cheers,

Pooch

Probably 2 DVD5s.
They may not have the facilities for authoring RSDL discs.

Originally posted by Nike
Probably 2 DVD5s.
They may not have the facilities for authoring RSDL discs.

...never fear: they indeed do have that 'facility'... SOLARIS (and AGONY and COME AND SEE and STALKER, to name a few) are 'long' movies which RUSCICO elected to release on two DVD-9s, allowing a higher bit rate, and to accommodate -usually- three DD 5.1 soundtracks (Russian, English, French), and a dozen or so subtitle tracks, and some extras... their discs come in two flavours: PAL or NTSC, with PAL (probably) to be preferred...

...and, for Confucius: there are no such things as SECAM DVDs, only PAL and NTSC... France is the country that invented SECAM and their DVDs (and LDs before them) are PAL...

. . . :) . . .

Hi Again,

I've just checked out the "RUSCICO" site, and I can't see how people actually pay for any orders, if they were to want to order a title or titles.

You can only subscribe (as far as I can tell) if you are an institution of one kind or another, and then you are limited to five titles maximum.

For regular members of the public, you can add your chosen title(s) to the Shopping Cart, but it doesn't seem to ask for any payment info.

Can anyone out there offer any advice, please?

Cheers.

Pooch

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom