1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Russ Andrews Mains cables - are they any good?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Belaggio, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Belaggio

Belaggio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was thinking of upgrading my Sky, DVD & Sub mains cables to the Russ Andrews YellO mains cables.

Question is - will i notice a bit improvement or will it be slight. The cost benefit is the deciding factor here since upgrading is gonna cost me over £100.

Thanks,

2. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Slight rather than big I would say, but you can hear the difference...

3. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Great story in the back of New Scientist this week. Big Hifi expo in America recently. One of the exhibitors were selling hugely expensive speaker cables which were well recieved by those gathered. Then the group moved on to the UKs Quad stand who were demoing their latest high end gear. Everyone gathered agreed Quads gear sounded sublime. When questioned about the make of thick orange speaker cable they were using, those gathered were informed that it was a black and decker mains extension cable with the plugs removed, bought across the road from the conference centre in the local equivelent to Woodies DIY that morning.

So going on that I think you should buy black and decker mains cables for your gear. :D

4. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    TBH I reckon there is more chance of any audible difference being attributable to variable amounts of wax in the ear canal day to day than it would be to new expensive mains cables.

As you will have gathered from my previous post, I am sceptical in the extreme with regard to 'super dooper' speaker cable or even mains cable.

Its all a con I tells ya!! :D :D

6. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i agree, just another way to get money! i don't know how they get away with it, trust me you will hear no difference at all from a different mains cable, invest the 100 quid in equipment!
    regards
    Fred

7. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I reckon expensive cables rank along side astrology, pyramids, crystals, homeopathy etc........oh and modern art as the latest examples of ......'a fool is easily parted with his money' :D Belaggio, please don't part with that 100 quid because I very much doubt you are a fool.

8. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    haha nice one Calibos, have you seen some of the speaker cable at russandrews?! An 8ft speaker cable is £6 295 quid!!!!http://www.russandrews.com/product....&customer_id=PAA1606097103944FBIKUOESOFWFNJIJ i think that is the link.
    Sorry for being ignorant or whatever but who would spend so much money on a strand of speaker cable?!what do they put in it to make it so expensive?! I would like to audition one on my system to see if i notice any difference at all, i can be persuaded if i could try them out for free :)
    Fred

9. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    on my bedroom hi-fi (12 year old technics system) I've got old hairdyer cable for my speakers! much better than the bell cable that came with them tho!:clap:

10. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On a whole system, like mine, i would probably end up spending nearly 50 thousand pounds on speaeker cable, now that is F*&%ed up!
    Fred

11. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i regret spending 300 quid for all my speaker cable, and then about 100 on all the interconnects, grr
    Fred

12. Belaggio

Belaggio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, so no upgrade.

Thanks guys,

13. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
  14. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes but you would get a much bigger improvement if you were on a budget and if you invesyed that into more expensive equipment
    Fred

15. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
  16. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how come it was censored?
    Fred

17. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,660
    Message to babble and fred123go :

I have deleted all but your first 2 moaning threads cos they are off topic.

The AV Forums are currently being threatened with legal action by the owner of that other forum. Hence to prevent any possible allegations of libel against thier forum, we have been forced to do the same as they did to us ages ago and put their domain into the swear filter.
    You're not missing anything by not visting their site anyway, since aside from the moderators there are no more than a dozen or so users actually visiting the site at any one time and most of the new threads are in their moderator forum.

If you can't live with our policy towards the other site then don't.
    By all means try and launch a rule-free forum where you will be sued by libelled retailers in no time.

18. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok i understand that, i was only joking though. this forum is the best on the net. I didn't know before that they were suing-i apologise
    Fred

19. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Perhaps it's time you paid a visit to the doctor.!?

20. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Like calibos I was sceptical but a few months ago I read somewhere in this forum of the great improvements that could be made to Sky by changing the mains lead for something decent. I can't find the thread any more and although I am not a techie the reasoning behind the improvements seemed to make sense at the time. Someone else mentioned that forum member Mark Grant would make up a quality mains lead for a reasonable price so whilst remaining sceptical, I ordered one from Mark and was surprised that it did actually make improvements to the sound and picture. I haven't yet read of anything that would make me upgrade the power cables on the rest of my equipment but I certainly thought that my investment on the Sky box was worth while.

21. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If Arthur Salvatores accusations are true, then this cable probably cost less than $100 to make.

I think that I'm in the wrong job.

22. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    fRED, cALIBOS: I must say I have to disagree with you on the cable difference. I am not saying that they need to be expensive to function well though.

One of the dems I hope to do at Event 2 is a mains lead demo and the other will be a digital interconnect dem. Not sure whether to use a 75ohm aerial co-ax or a super expensive digital incon against a well constructed one. Should be interesting to see what folk think anyway.

Gordon

23. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey ya Gordon,
    yes i agree there are slight differences between cables, i mean i prefer my silver anny bi-wires to the cheap gale stuff i had to put up with for the first 2 weeks of having my system, there isn't much difference but i just prefer the sound of the silver anny's.
    Could you report back on your findings?should see some interesting results there.
    Fred

24. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Yes. And if you now moved to, say, Chord Oddessy speaker cable you would again here a Very obvious improvement.

I too was very sceptical about the virtues of different cables, interconnects, speaker wire or mains but after trying various brands at home have to say there can be a very big margin/improvement between cables.

The better cables tend to be a little more expensive but that doesn't mean you have to pay a fortune. I believe in some of the gains in Russ Andrews cables but unfortuneatly they have grossly over priced most of there range (essentially a good marketing ploy!!)

But the biggest 'snake oil' is RA's turn-table racks...Now that is funny:clap: :clap: :clap:
    He has alot to answer for?

Like all things in life, ie. antiques, autographs, etc.... there is always going to be someone who wants to take the mick...

S.

25. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have you used/heard my cable before?and have you tested them one after the other?
    Fred

26. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I think its standard protocol for any one getting into hifi/av to buy silv. ann. but i only use Chord Company Oddessy4 for hifi. It is very a revealing speaker cable and suits my hifi system very well.

S.

27. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Could we try and keep to the topic of mains cables please

28. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    At the AV Expo in Heathrow this year Black Rhodium (not sure of spelling but im sure you know who i mean) gave a demo of ther £120 to £220 4 6 and 8 way extention leads and it was clearly audiable to everyone that a subtle improvement was there/made.

This i believe is not pure fluke or black magic. I don't paticulary like putting a product across (thats the companys marketing peoples job), but it serves well as an example.

S.

29. alwyn

alwyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Last week I purchased on a trial basis the kimber select ks 2020 digital cable .75 meters long price £546.I compared it on my cd transport with a £40 coaxle cable and also a £50 optical van den hul opticoupler.After several hours listening I was convinced that there was no difference .Thank god it was on trial.
    There is an improvement in upgrading from the cheap cables supplied with components,but at a reasonable level only.

30. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    The Yellow cable does what is say on the 'box'. You will only see an improvement if you have RFI issues. Gordon approach is much more universally applicable but marketed at a 'higher' market. Quality cable need not cost very much money at all. I for one wouldn't change silver Ann for Chord stuff and yes I must have about 100m of the Chord here :) Both just do the job, it is all they need to do.