Rush Clockwork Angels tour hits the UK

shb367

Prominent Member
Reaction score
EMBARGOED 9AM GMT MONDAY 14TH MAY 2012
RUSH ANNOUNCE UK ARENA TOUR – MAY 2013

RUSH RETURNS WITH “CLOCKWORK ANGELS”
CELEBRATED ROCK TRIO’S FIRST STUDIO ALBUM IN FIVE YEARS SET TO ARRIVE ON JUNE 11th (UK) 2012

Legendary rock band Rush have announced details of a UK Arena tour in May 2013. Full dates are as follows

Wed May 22nd Manchester Arena
Fri May 24th London, O2 Arena
Sun May 26th Birmingham, LG Arena
Tues May 28th Sheffield, Motorpoint Arena
Thurs May 30th Glasgow, SECC

Tickets go on sale at 9am GMT Friday 18th May 2012 priced at £60/£75 (subject to booking fee) and will be available from Tickets for concerts, theatre, football, family days out. Official Ticketmaster Site, Concert Tickets and Tour Dates | Live Nation UK or Tickets for concerts, gigs, festivals, theatre and sport | Ticketline

These are the first UK dates since the band brought their 3 ½ hour Time Machine Tour in May 2011 – the tour was met to widespread critical acclaim and included a sold out date at London’s O2 Arena. “Rush are one of the last great bands standing” – Metal Hammer, “Canadian legends confirm their status as the world’s biggest and best cult band” – Kerrang, “It’s a blend of power, subtlety, soaring choruses and some of the most intelligent lyrics ever written.” – The Sun 5/5 live review.

This follows the band unveiling details of its highly anticipated, new album, “CLOCKWORK ANGELS.” This is the renowned trio’s first new collection of original material in over five years and their first studio release via Anthem/Roadrunner Records. “CLOCKWORK ANGELS,” the band’s 20th studio album, will be released in the UK on June 11th (see attached track listing).

In the UK, the album will be released on June 11th in exclusive Classic Rock Fan Pack form – providing a unique collectible package containing the 12 track studio album alongside a specially created magazine with unseen behind-the-scenes content put together by Classic Rock. The Fan Pack cover will also feature brand new exclusive artwork from Rush’s longtime collaborator Hugh Syme (who also designed the Clockwork Angels artwork). The Fan Pack format will also come with free gifts including a ltd ed Clockwork Angels keyring & artwork poster and will be available to buy via more than 2000 retail outlets on newsstands nationally as well as the traditional high street and online music retailer. The Fan Pack is available for pre-order now at Classic Rock Presents Rush: Clockwork Angels Fan Pack | My Favourite Magazines, where all early bird orders will receive a personalised Rush poster. Roadrunner Records will simultaneously release the record digitally. The standard physical release of the Rush album will follow through Roadrunner Records on July 9th 2012.

The recording of “CLOCKWORK ANGELS” began in April 2010 with Grammy Award winning producer Nick Raskulinecz (Foo Fighters, Deftones) – who also collaborated with the band on their last studio album, 2007’s “SNAKES & ARROWS.” Rush co-produced both records. The first two songs, “Caravan” and “BU2B,” were completed during that first session at Nashville’s Blackbird studios and performed nightly during the wildly successful Time Machine Tour, which ran from June 2010 to June 2011. Work on “CLOCKWORK ANGELS” resumed in the fall of 2011 at Revolution Recording in Toronto after the tour’s finale, with additional strings (arranged by David Campbell) recorded at Hollywood’s Ocean Way Studios earlier this year. Lyrically, “CLOCKWORK ANGELS” chronicles a young man’s quest across a lavish and colorful world of steampunk and alchemy as he attempts to follow his dreams. The story features lost cities, pirates, anarchists, an exotic carnival, and a rigid Watchmaker who imposes precision on every aspect of daily life. The novelization of “CLOCKWORK ANGELS” is being written by science fiction writer Kevin J. Anderson in collaboration with Rush drummer and lyricist Neil Peart.

Rush heralded the release of “CLOCKWORK ANGELS” with a new single “Headlong Flight”. Landing at rock radio in mid April the song is already # 1 at Classic Rock in the USA and A-Listed at the UK’s Planet Rock radio. Details of a full-scale North American tour to support the new album have also been announced – the tour runs throughout September, October, November and December 2012.

RUSH
“CLOCKWORK ANGELS”
(ANTHEM/ROADRUNNER)
Available June 11th

1. Caravan
2. BU2B
3. Clockwork Angels
4. The Anarchist
5. Carnies
6. Halo Effect
7. Seven Cities Of Gold
8. The Wreckers
9. Headlong Flight
10. BU2B2
11. Wish Them Well
12. The Garden

With more than 40 million records sold worldwide and countless sold-out tours, Rush – Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, and Neil Peart – is not only one of the most inventive and compelling groups in rock history, but remains one of the most popular. The RIAA has certified Rush for the third most consecutive gold/platinum studio albums by a rock band, topped only by the Beatles and the Rolling Stones. Rush’s vast catalog includes such classics as 1974’s self-titled debut, 1976’s “2112,” 1981’s “MOVING PICTURES,” 1996’s “TEST FOR ECHO,” and 2002’s “VAPOR TRAILS.” Rush’s most recent studio album, 2007’s “SNAKES & ARROWS,” debuted at #3 on the Billboard 200, marking the band’s highest chart debut since 1993, as well as their eleventh top 10 album in the U.S. The album’s first single, “Far Cry,” hit the top 5 at mainstream rock radio, with airplay on over 100 radio stations in the US. Additionally, the “SNAKES AND ARROWS” track “Malignant Narcissism” was nominated for a Grammy in the Best Rock Instrumental Performance category. In addition to their commercial success, Rush has also been recognized with a number of Juno Awards and multiple Grammy nominations, including one for the acclaimed documentary “Rush: Beyond The Lighted Stage” at this year’s gala event. Enjoying a recent pop culture renaissance, Rush made a rare television appearance - their first in over 30 years - on Comedy Central’s “The Colbert Report” and a memorable cameo in the film “I Love You, Man.” A career-chronicling Rolling Stone feature summed up the renowned rock trio’s continuing artistic vitality by observing, “It’s true that Rush doesn’t mean today what it did in ’76 or even ’96. It may mean more.”

£65 for a ticket again :facepalm:

20,000 capacity at Manchester = £1,300,000 + 1 YEARS interest

ripping the fans off again :mad:

Supreb. I was searching at the weekend and could only find the North American Dates. I even said to my wife "fancy going to the USA to see Rush, chose a place to go to" lol. Now it will have to be the UK - doh.

I suppose they are the same price as last time but it certainly cuts down the amount of shows I'll go to. Only done two for the TM tour and same for this (Glasgow and Manchester again).
Each tour I think this will be the last (at least in the UK) and they still are going strong. Wonder if the rumour that the full signals album will be played will be true!

I suppose they are the same price as last time but it certainly cuts down the amount of shows I'll go to. Only done two for the TM tour and same for this (Glasgow and Manchester again).
Each tour I think this will be the last (at least in the UK) and they still are going strong. Wonder if the rumour that the full signals album will be played will be true!

Signals - oh I hope not. Apart from 'Losing it' I never did like that album much. Prefer Hemispheres, Carress of Steel or A Farewell to Kings all through tbh.

Always a pleasure to see Rush live, will be purchasing a couple of tickets, very expensive but absolute value for money.

Been a Rush fan for over 30 years and seen every tour in that time but prices are just stupid now. Sorry Rush but I can't afford to be a fan anymore.

Got tickets for the Birmingham gig this morning. Not cheap, but worth it to see this band. My last gig was them at the same venue in May 2011. Nothing since or likely to be before.

Just went to book at the O2 only to find out good seats are £85.25 No way, sorry Rush Greedy Greedy Greedy.

blame the promoters not the band for the prices! yes they are expensive but ile be getting mine asap for the sheffield gig :clap: i missed the tm tour and was gutted plus i cant wait for the new album :thumbsup:

I'm going :) Will be almost exactly 30 years since i saw them on the Signals tour on my 2nd Date with my good lady wife.

G

Last edited:
Bought the tickets but such a long wait, roll on the new album :smashin:

Oh dear....I am not enjoying the new album. (Yes I know it hasn't officially been released yet.)

Another wall of distorted noise and hundred mile an hour drumming.

Oh how I'd love to hear a few pedals and bells.

I'll go and listen to my 5.1 Farewell to Kings.

Oh dear....I am not enjoying the new album. (Yes I know it hasn't officially been released yet.)

Another wall of distorted noise and hundred mile an hour drumming.

Oh how I'd love to hear a few pedals and bells.

I'll go and listen to my 5.1 Farewell to Kings.

Of course it`s all down to opinion but from what I`ve been reading, you are clearly in the minority. I don`t have it yet but hope to be listening to it sooner than later. :)

Of course it`s all down to opinion but from what I`ve been reading, you are clearly in the minority. I don`t have it yet but hope to be listening to it sooner than later. :)

Hope you do enjoy it. In my opinion, after many listens now, it is much better than T4E or VT and doesn't have as much filler as S&A. But I'm old school and really wish there was the same 'light and shade' as in the classic Rush. It's all just a bit samey (with one or twom notable exceptions, The Garden for example).

Wouldn't miss them for the world on tour though, despite the silly prices. I'm taking my young daughter next year - she'll be wearing my ESL baseball shirt that I got from the Deeside Leisure Centre gig back in 81. My sister couldn't wait a whole year so she's going to see them in Toronto!

Hope you do enjoy it. In my opinion, after many listens now, it is much better than T4E or VT and doesn't have as much filler as S&A. But I'm old school and really wish there was the same 'light and shade' as in the classic Rush. It's all just a bit samey (with one or twom notable exceptions, The Garden for example).

Wouldn't miss them for the world on tour though, despite the silly prices. I'm taking my young daughter next year - she'll be wearing my ESL baseball shirt that I got from the Deeside Leisure Centre gig back in 81. My sister couldn't wait a whole year so she's going to see them in Toronto!

Hi Keiron
Unfortunately those classic days that I prefer too are long gone,. Snakes And Arrows at first I thought was excellent but not one of my faves now, of the more recent albums, I really enjoy Vapor Trails.

Out of interest, is the baseball shirt red or green? When I was at high school, the older lads were all Rush fans and went to see them at Stafford Bingley Hall if I remember correctly, I seem to remember the red or green tops. I wasn't a fan until around 1986, I was more into Scorpions and AC/DC.

Mine has blue sleeves! I don't remember the red ones, only blue and green. I can't believe I used to fit in it...! Bingley Hall was a major venue back then, as was Deeside "Leesure" Centre as Geddy used to say. (Yes, a leisure centre - they used to chuck mats down on the ice rink and put a stage at the end!) The place suffered a big fire the next year just before the Signals tour so they put us all on a coach and took us down to the NEC, which is just a bigger shed of course!

Mine has blue sleeves! I don't remember the red ones, only blue and green. I can't believe I used to fit in it...! Bingley Hall was a major venue back then, as was Deeside "Leesure" Centre as Geddy used to say. (Yes, a leisure centre - they used to chuck mats down on the ice rink and put a stage at the end!) The place suffered a big fire the next year just before the Signals tour so they put us all on a coach and took us down to the NEC, which is just a bigger shed of course!

I must be color blind LOL. Maybe I'm thinking of the red Journey Escape Tour tops that I saw on the BBC In Concert Show with Annie Nightingale presenting.

We must be a couple of old timers :rolleyes:

My fan pack arrived this morning. CA after a few spins is a grower. Less filler than S&A, miles better than the dog poop of VT, and my names on the poster to. Not much makes an old bloke happy these days but this has. Now thinking I should go see them again and stuff the expense.

I`m really disappointed that mine hasn`t yet arrived :(

Mine hasn't arrived either. It is a grower, but I said that about S&A. Let's see whether we are still listening to it in 30 years' time!

My fan pack arrived today finally from Amazon. What's this about your name on the poster KoThreads?

I have listened a dozen or so times now and I still can't remember a single tune.

I can remember some lines that are repeated way too often ("Seven cities of go-oh-old.." and "All I know is that sometimes you have to be wary...") but no proper melodies. I'm not sure there are melodies in the way you can sing them in the shower.

I just get the feeling that Ged & Lerxst wrote a pile of riffs and cut and paste them together, then Neil sent in a pile of lyrics from his home in California and Ged tried to lay them over the top.

I do feel some will work better live but to be honest, though it pains me to say it - as I type this an autographed limited edition print of Peart looks down on me - I'm not sure I will ever listen to the album beginning to end again.

I have listened a dozen or so times now and I still can't remember a single tune.

I can remember some lines that are repeated way too often ("Seven cities of go-oh-old.." and "All I know is that sometimes you have to be wary...") but no proper melodies. I'm not sure there are melodies in the way you can sing them in the shower.

I just get the feeling that Ged & Lerxst wrote a pile of riffs and cut and paste them together, then Neil sent in a pile of lyrics from his home in California and Ged tried to lay them over the top.

I do feel some will work better live but to be honest, though it pains me to say it - as I type this an autographed limited edition print of Peart looks down on me - I'm not sure I will ever listen to the album beginning to end again.

Over the years I have struggled with many albums after numerous plays and they tend to be the ones I end up liking the most. It does annoy me when some claim after one, maybe even two plays that this album and others are their best ever.

:clap: Oooo! My wife surprised me today by announcing that she's booked VIP tickets for MEN 22nd May. Block B, a few rows back. :smashin:

She's not even into Rush, but wants to come along as well. :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom