Rural Locations commutable to Manchester

2scoops

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone know any rural locations that are nice but affordable and within 10-20 miles of Manchester City Centre?

Depends on your budget, have a look around Altrincham, Hale, Bowden, Ashley.

Anyone know any rural locations that are nice but affordable and within 10-20 miles of Manchester City Centre?

Glossop ain't bad at all mate!

Depends on your budget, have a look around Altrincham, Hale, Bowden, Ashley.

:eek: big budget for those places!

Looking more for a hidden gem, something thats maybe not a fashionable area but has plenty of countryside etc. I'd consider North Manchester, maybe Bolton way also.

Looking more for a hidden gem, something thats maybe not a fashionable area but has plenty of countryside etc. I'd consider North Manchester, maybe Bolton way also.

Ramsbottom is a lovely place, nice village, very rural - near to Bury

Try going East.

Through Droylsden, Ashton-under-Lyne, Mossley to Uppermill.

Around the Upermill area you'll find Diggle, Dobcross and Greenfield. Near Greenfield you'll find Dovestones Reservoir and you're also on the edge of Sadleworth Moor.

I agree that East Manchester is much better. You get the benefit of the lovely countryside over the moors and towards the pennines and derbyshire.

Lots of place as mentioned inc Saddleworth, Diggle, Mossley and beyond. Also look at Hadfield, Tinwistle, Simmondley.

Ramsbottom is a lovely place, nice village, very rural - near to Bury

It's nice near the hare and hounds, it's not great near the Co-op though, of course you get the lovely Urn to compensate :D

10-20 miles of central Manchester is a big catchment area, including parts of derbyshire and virtually the whole of north manchester (Bolton, Bury etc..)

Why won't anyone recommend my family home in Blackley?

No, I wouldn't either! :D

Try going East.

Through Droylsden, Ashton-under-Lyne, Mossley to Uppermill.

Around the Upermill area you'll find Diggle, Dobcross and Greenfield. Near Greenfield you'll find Dovestones Reservoir and you're also on the edge of Sadleworth Moor.

Thanks, whats the commute time to MCR?

Consider perhaps some areas aorund Croft/Culcheth/Lowton/Golborne/Newton-Le-Willows. Property prices in these areas can be quite reasonable - relatively speaking.

Also depends on you definition of rural I suppose.

vnb

Charlesworth, just outside Glossop, where my mum grew up :) (both by the way)
13.4 miles to the Law Courts if that counts as Central Manchester. For the train you'd have to go to Broadbottom or Glossop.
Dave

Charlesworth, just outside Glossop, where my mum grew up :) (both by the way)
13.4 miles to the Law Courts if that counts as Central Manchester. For the train you'd have to go to Broadbottom or Glossop.
Dave

The train service is superb and would take about 40 minutes into the centre of Manchester!

South east manchester way - I used drive from Huddersfield to Macclesfield everyday over tops - Holmfirth, Glossop, Whaley Bridge, Macclesfield - really nice countryside. And all about 40 mins or so from Manc.

Whats wrong with 'chat ham hill' ? Nice view of Manchester Fort :rotfl:

I agree, Cheetham-on-the-hill can be quite lovely in the summertime - also great if you ever want a taxi-firm or a kebab shop :rolleyes:

Mersey bank Chorlton,lovely tight community:nono: .My old lady still lives there.Easy to commute,if your transport is still there in the morning:D .

South or South West Manchester, Stockport, Macclesfield are all expensive. Look to the north or east, Glossop and other parts of High Peak are lovely. Mossley area and north of Bolton and Bury are also good value.

Thanks, whats the commute time to MCR?

I used to live in Ashton-under-Lyne and it takes about 20 minutes to get to Manchester from there. From Ashton to Uppermill is about 15 minutes. Once through Mossley the countryside starts.

At Dovestones they have sailing boats but I think they're private; no hire facility. If you don't fancy that then from Greenfield just keep on going past Dovestones, along the A635, until you get to Holmfirth where they shoot Last of the Summer Wine.

If you choose to visit Glossop then you can also try Hadfield where they shoot The League Of Gentlemen. Glossop and area is very nice too.

Glossop and Hadfield can be a nightmare time-wise commuting to Manchester every day. The road from the end of the M67 into Glossop is ALWAYS chocker which leads congestino right back on to the motorway itself most of the time.

It can take me around 1 hour to make the 10 mile journey into the centre of manchester - add another 20/30 minutes to get through to Glossop :(

Having said that, there are plans to build a by-pass (for the last twenty years!) so when that's done it should take the motorway traffic round Hollingworth / Glossop and make the link over Woodhead easier towards Sheffield.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom