1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Running TV through a Sony STR DB940??

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by nathnz, Feb 7, 2005.

1. nathnz

nathnz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Thanks for all the previous replies of help. I've got the system now, I managed to get a second hand KEF KHT 2005.1 speaker set, and at the same time get a Sony STR D940 Amp.

I've got the DVD running through the Amp to the speakers fine (still have to get the speaker balance right yet, it feels too heavy in the front), but am having major trouble with the TV. I am unable to run sound from the TV to the speakers via the Amp. The Amp just doens't seem to recognise the TV output.

I've just tried a scart from the TV (Daewoo TV, has two scart connections) to the s-video in on the Amp (for the TV/SAT setion of inputs), but that doesn't seem to be working?

Does anyone have an idea what the problem my be? I'm happy to provide ANY information that you may need to help me out.

Many thanks,
    Nathan.

2. F1Boy

F1Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi,

S-video doesn't carry sound - only video signals so that's probably why you're not hearing anything.

Personally I don't have my TV connected directly to my amp - I have a phono-phono (RCA) connection from my VCR and an optical connection from my Freeview box.

I'm not entirely sure how you would take sound directly from the TV - some TVs have stereo phono outs I believe (but these can be TV volume dependant :confused: ).

Best bet is probably to get yourself Feeview (or Sky etc) if you don't already have it :D - few more channels and much easier to hook up :clap:

Matt

3. nathnz

nathnz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Matt,

So it sounds like I need a scart to some audio line in leads. Can you get these? And does scart carry sound?

Nathan.

4. F1Boy

F1Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I think you can, although I'm not positive - it's certainly worth a try :smashin:

That should work - SCART does carry sound (I think I used to use one :confused: )

Good luck - let us know how it goes...

Matt

5. Andy_t

Andy_t
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. nathnz

nathnz

Products Owned: