1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Running speakers in??

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mikeq, Feb 24, 2003.

1. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Just bought Gallo Nucleus Micros. When people talk about running speakers in what exactly needs to be done, i.e. should they be played at a certain volume? if so what should it be? Is there anything else I should be doing?

Regards
    Mike

2. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You raise a good point about running in where speakers like the Gallos are concerned... usually 'running in' is the process of making the drive units move in and out for a long enough period of time that they 'settle' into their correct/optimum position for all future use. I don't know whether the same thing applies in the quite the same way to speakers with a design like Gallo's.

That said, I'm sure they'll still benefit to some degree. The easiest way to burn in speakers is to set a full-frequency range music CD on repeat play for a couple of days when you go out to work. It doesn't need to be excessively loud, just about the same volume as you might sensibly listen to the music at normally. Don't use acoustic or lightweight discs... if you have any Prodigy albums or similar, they're a good bet.

3. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Juboy

It'll have to be something in the Heavy Rock genre I'm afraid:) I'm sure I have something that will do it.

Mike

4. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That'll do the job. Try and make sure it has some nice sparkly treble and some deep bass... anything with a range of frequencies and dynamics would be fine.

5. Lesmond

Lesmond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    From the Monitor Audio website:

6. aka

aka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about subwoofer?
    Is "runnin in" also applies for subwoofer??

rgds,a-k

7. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is a huge amount of bull**** about all of this...

All you need to do is run the speakers at a reasonable level for a weekend and they will settle down fine.

Don't go to any more bother than that and as you listen to them, they will settle down in no time.

8. Lesmond

Lesmond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Are you quoting more bull**** here, or just overruling an established manufacturers recommendations with your own? :eek:

9. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think what jim.rae was trying to say is that there's an awful lot of myth and hoopla tacked on to the generally accepted knowledge that most speakers will begin to achieve their true potential after 50 to 100+ hours of usage (obviously this depends on the speaker and materials used in their construction).

I tend to agree with him. Unless you rarely listen to your music collection, most 'burn-in' can be done by simply listening as you would normally do, to a variety of different music styles, for a couple of weeks.

The very last thing I would do is spend £20 on one of those 'burn-in' discs...

10. Dazed

Dazed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mike

I too have the Gallo NM's and the good news is that they sound like completely different speakers after the run in period, I would say I ran them for about 30-50 hours. I really noticed the difference after thrashing them with the the Rammstein CD Mutter. I was aware of a run-in period but that didn't stop me being ever so slightly disappointed with my NM's when I first hooked them up. Now they sound oh-so sweet - an incredible difference.

The only downside in all this is that I've only "run-in" my two fronts as I'm still awaiting delivery of a Pioneer 2011 - which fingers crossed should arrive soon

11. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yep I would go as far as to say that the Gallos are transformed by a fairly lengthy run-in period in that they sounded like completely different speakers after three weeks of use.

Dazed you're not running your front two through a regular stereo amp are you?!

12. Dazed

Dazed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, but connected through the sub

Stereo Amp>MPS150 Sub>Gallo NM's

13. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned: