• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Running Speaker Wire through the walls...

aaragon

Standard Member
Hi all,

This is my first post so please go easy on me ;)

I have a question on routing speaker wire through the walls on an already finished room. Basically what I am wanting to do is mount the rears on the "back" wall of the room and route the associated wiring down between the "back" wall frame, through the sub floor into the crawl space and the back up into the "front" wall.

Ive done some investigating and both are interior walls, neither of which have any installation so that makes it a bit easier to route the speaker wires. I went down into the crawl space to see if I could figure out where the walls were placed and all I could see was the sub floor (big surprise).

So my question is this:

Do I have to remove a section of the drywall big enough to facilitate drilling down through the subfloor or is there an easier way? I would prefer to come from below and drill up if possible. Also, should I expect to encounter horizontal cross studs within the framing of the wall as I route the speaker wire?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

27neth

Distinguished Member
Hi,
You could drill upover, as long as you drill in the right place :D
You should just drill through the floorboards then sole plate (probably 4"x2") there should be no noggings till around 4 foot up the wall.
I would feed the speaker cable up the wall attached to some stiff wire, then drill a hole where the speaker is going and try to find the wire.

John.

aaragon

Standard Member
Thanks for the reply...

I had a feeling that my options were limited. Looks as though I will get some practice at drywall repair ;)

Ed

aaragon

Standard Member
Got her all wired up. I ended up using a "fish" tape to pull the wire up through the wall...worked like a champ.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom