Running Speaker Cables Outdoors

StevieB007

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I have just moved into a new house, which has wooden floors, so cannot easily run my QED Original Speaker cables to my rear speakers.

It is quite easy for me to go through the wall and run them in plastic conduit around the outside of the house, but I was wondering if low ambient temperatures (lowest in winter would be -5 degrees) could effect sound quality?

Any thoughts or comments appreciated.

I can't really see an issue with this.
Are you running small rear speakers?

Gareth.

Hi

Thanks for the reply, my rear speakers are a pair of Gale 3060 bipolar.

Nothing over special, but do a nice job.

Speaker cables aren't really designed for this kind of punishment, temperatures below freezing would probably be bad news, especially in the longer term, I would avoid this if possible. ;)

I agree that having any cables, equipment or whatever outside is not "ideal", but then what is?
My carear as a broadcast engineer started working with outside broadcasts. This meant working with lots of very expensive, yet sensative equipment, facing the elements! I've worked on football matches soon after newyear, with ice on the ground & never had any issues with the cable temperature... If your worried about the cable degrading, do as you said, and lay in conduit and reduce the exposure.

Gareth.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your comments.

To be honest I have not got much of a choice. I dont want to see cables running around door frames, so it will be the external wiring option in conduit for me.

If I find the sound degrades during the winter months I will send a further post with my findings.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom