1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Running scart to Conservatory

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by MrRalphMan, Dec 12, 2003.

1. MrRalphMan

MrRalphMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could give me a little advice.

I have a TV in our Conservatory and currently send the video signal from the Sky Box & DVD via a video sender, and to put it politely, this is crud.

Although the distance isn't too far (IMHO) at around 6m, the signal is vary variable (When it's good, it's great... other wise.. Pharp!).

What I would like to do is run the cable around the room, the run would be a little longer then the signal length, but I think it will give a more consistent signal.

I would like to use a supple cable, to allow for it to be run easily, but would also like to have a decent signal strength.

I would have to run the cable through the old external wall and plan to use a scart socket on the other side.

If anyone could suggest ideas, suppliers and also instructions for joining the cable to the scart socket on the wall in the Conservatory and to the scart plug for connecting to the source.

Many Thanks,

Paul Ryder

2. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29,078
    So long as you don't want superfi quality it might be easiest to use a 3-way phono lead (Left, right and component video) connected to a scart adaptor at either end or a SCART to phonos lead. Then you only need drill a hole large enough to poke the phono (RCA) plugs through one at a time (10mm may be big enough, I can't remember what I used.) haul it to the TV and plug the RCA's into the scart adaptor.

Dave

3. MrRalphMan

MrRalphMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the reply dave, I'll bear that in mind, but I wanted something a little more elegant & Perminant.

Thanks though...

4. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29,078
    Fair enough, I suspected as much, how about terminating in a wall plate with 3 RCA sockets then?

Dave

5. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ixos do a flat version of there shielded scart cable they do fairly long lengths but no custom lengths.
    Depending on budget, cables that are available as custom lengths (Full size):
    Ixos XHT601
    QED AV2110
    and VanDenHul THESCART

(In price order)

6. MrRalphMan

MrRalphMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I wouldn't mind attempting to make up my own, I've found a Scart socket for the wall, but don't really know what I'm doing (You might be able to tell).

I would prefer to have the option of RGB as well.

Any ideas where I can get the cable and instructions on how to fit the socket/plug?

Paul.

7. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    don't know anyone who actually holds stock of it, but QED Sqart cable can be brought to sell from the reel, and the SQART plug can be brought seperately.
    RGB only needs certain connections to be made so find a scart guide which will tell you which pins to connect.

8. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29,078
  9. Line_Man

Line_Man
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get a 10 meter scart cable. If you get a flat one, you can run it under your carpet easily :)