running out of space

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by marc123, Feb 23, 2013.

1. marc123

marc123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all I have mbp which I had some videos on taking up a lot of space on the hardrive I secure deleted them now when I look in the storage section it says I have 80 gb in the other section how do I clear this bit out as my MbP seems to be running slow please help.Is there a way of clearing out all the old stuff on the hardrive like on a pc so I can get it running quick again.Thanks in advance .

2. atki81

atki81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The other stuff on the hard drive will more than likely be the local storage of time machine backups. You can turn it off by entering 'sudo tmutil disablelocal' in terminal and re-enable it if you wish to do so with 'sudo tmutil enablelocal'
    I hope this helps you, Peter.

3. marc123

marc123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Cheers peter I use a external hardrive to do my timemachine so can I delete it on my mbp.

4. bprentice2010

bprentice2010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    The local snapshots are done even if your Time Machine HD is not connected and are stored on the internal HD. They show up in Time Machine as a white line instead of purple. If you do the above command it will just turn off the Local Snapshots, Time Machine will still backup as normal.