1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Running out of HDD space.

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Ricsta, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Ricsta

Ricsta
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I have captured some DV footage from my HandyCam to my PC using ULEAD, and created a 'video clip' file from the individual .avi files.

I have then edited some of the separate .avi files, and saved these as additional files, but am running out of space on my HDD.

What is the normal thing to do, delete the 'video clip' file already burned to DVD, or delete the snippits of video already used to create the original 'video clip'?

I hope this makes sense, and I would appreciate any feedback.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,403
    Well you have 2 options.

1. Delete the files once you have finished with them and hope the DVD never gets damaged.

or the prefered method that I use -

2. Get a DV cam with DV-in enabled and copy all the edited footage back to a new DV tape. Create the DVD and then delete the files from the PC. If you then loose or damage the DVD just recapture the edited footage and burn another DVD.

Mark.

3. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    How much storage space do you actually have? Have you considered purchasing an additional/larger hard drive?

It may seem like a slightly extreme measure but to be perfectly honest, you can't ever really have "too much" space, and prices are fairly cheap right now :)

K.

4. Ricsta

Ricsta
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark,
    Thanks for your feedback. I guess I just needed to know that it is OK to delete the capture files, since you still have the original on tape.

Kelvin,
    I actually bought an 80GB HDD for just this purpose, but did not think I would run out so quickly.

Cheers.