1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Running In?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Lakes_Puma, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Lakes_Puma

Lakes_Puma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I quite often hear that AV equipment especially amps and DVD players get better once they have been run-in for a while. I’ve always had an open mind about this, but when I mentioned it in the office one of my colleagues scoffed at this comment and said it was total bull sh!t.

Does anyone have a scientific answer to why electronic items get better when run-in or is it in fact a myth?

2. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    All electronic equipment require an initial period of bedding in before being at their optimum.

3. Lakes_Puma

Lakes_Puma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    can anyone qualify this with scientific facts?

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Most electronic equipment will settle down in 10 to 15 minutes use. Blackgates capacitirs will take longer but that is down to powder packing technology (my day job) but they are an oddball component. Mechanical stuff takes time to settle down, the vast majority of electronic equipment I believe doesn't. What does need time is people brains to adapt to a different sounds which is where I believe is the 'difference'.

I do break in all equipment however but this is more to find 'faults', others may differ however :)

5. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    All equipment follows a basic rule (called the bath tub curve) which states that if an item will fail, then statistically it is most likely to happen at the beginning of its life, or towards the end of its expected lifespan. If something is built to last 20 years, most failures will be in the first 6 months or last five years of its life. When these failures are charted, you get a curve that is likened to the profile of a bath tub, hence the name. The purpose of burning electronics in from an engineering point of view is to pick up the majority of these early failures before they get to the customer.
    From a consumers point of view there maybe some mileage in turning on your kit and leaving it on for an extended period in order to identify potential problems. In addition, any electro-mechanical gear such as optical transports do improve with use, certainly in their early hours of use. My turntable was specified as 200 hours use before it was at its best.

However, if kit sounds better after all this is, it will normally be a subjective measurement. My ears are not well tuned enough to hear an extra 0.02% wow and flutter. Someone else may be able to hear that. ;)

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    You should be able to hear 0.01% ;) and you an estemed moderator.