Running in speakers?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by StephenW, Aug 6, 2001.

1. StephenW

StephenW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello All,

I've been using my new home cinema system <br />(Denon AVR-3801 Amp. Kef Q55.2 fronts, Kef Q95c <br />centre, Kef 85S surrounds and REL Q150E sub) <br />for about a week now.

One question which I have not been able to find <br />an answer to though, is how long does it take to <br />run in a set of speakers?

Is there anything you should not do during this <br />period (i.e. crank the volume too high?)?

I only ask, because the demo I heard in the shop<br />sounded fantastic, whereas I am less impressed with<br />how mine sound at home. I find that bass is <br />sometimes lacking and at higher volumes the treble<br />can sound very harsh.

Any tips,advice and suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers,

Steve

2. titan

titan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This issue is sometimes contentious, but in regards to speakers which+ do h+a+ve moving parts i believe running in is nessesary.<br />What i do (as recomended by my mission speaker manual) is to run a cd, something with good dynamics, at a reasonable level for several DAYS whilst it is often desireble to turn off the amp at night try to run it more or less continuously.

Harsh treble can definately be a factor in new speakers as can low bass levels and running in differes too i remember my tdm34s surround speakers taking quite a while to lose thier slightly hard tone and develop the mid, ironically the same cannot be said for the fronts they didnt need much running in at all.

<br />In any case i dont think their is a definitive way to run in speakers, its not something you have to do like you do a car engine,after all running in isnt mentioned by kef in my owners manual, it will just take longer for you seakers to settle in to there proper running conditiiion if you dont.

Nathan

3. Frustin

Frustin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'll second the above. Speakers only get better with time. General use will loosen them up but playing them loudly will do it quicker. Even with personal sterio headphones you should play them on full volume (in my experience this works) continuously for about 24-48hours.

4. bighairy

bighairy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You might also be hearing the difference between your room and the demo room. Do you have hard walls, lots of window area etc? This months HCC article on room acoutstics is quite informative.

Having said that, however, speakers do sound better after a while (even months!) or maybe we all just get used to our own sound.

graeme

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    one way you can run speakers in (which if you have already wall mounted your rears may not be very helpful) is to put them in pairs facing each other close together, wire on of them the "wrong" way (i.e. put the positive lead into the negative connector and vice versa), and play some static from an untuned radio through them for a day or two.

wiring one of the speakers backwards will make them play out of phase with each other and most of the sound will cancel out (not all though). obviously this will work only for the fronts and rears as the others don't come in pairs, also you may need to connect the rears to the main speaker outlets (and do them in batches) as i'm not sure if static will send much info to the rears.

give it a try.

hth

owain

6. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All of the above is excellent advice. Owaint's idea of running the speakers facing each other out of phase also allows you to put a duvet over the top to muffle them!

Listen to closely gbb's advice though, this is why speakers should be auditioned at home. No two rooms sound alike. My system sounds totally different if the door to the room is open, the door then reflects a lot of treble back to the listener.

If the speakers do not improve when they are loose start to examine the room closely as well as the positioning of the speakers. You know the sound you like exists, you just have to find it. It may even be something daft such as the interconnects they use at the shop.