Running in plasmas

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by rich_b, Oct 4, 2004.

1. rich_b

rich_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've read somewhere on here, that I can't find now, that Plasma screens should be run in for 100/200 hours? But I spoke to someone from an AV outlet last week who said they never ran their own plasma in as there was no need. Obviously I'm now confused. Can someone advise what is best?

2. Dr Downey

Dr Downey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Opinions vary, but the general consensus is to turn the contrast and brightness down for the first 200 hours.

I must admit that the screen 'out of the box' was way too bright and high in contrast for my eyes anyway, so that's what I did.

Good luck!

3. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I believe the theory is that the new phosphor (<200hrs) is more susceptible to screen burn when compared to screen phosphor that has had more than 200hrs run time. Therefore the advice to turn down brightness and contrast during the first 200 or so hours is intended to reduce the risk of screen burn. Most of the plasma experts here advocate this method of running in a plasma screen.

S.

4. zoom

zoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When you say turn the settings down, is there a guideline like from half way to below 1/5 on the scale??

5. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Out of the box my Panasonic Viera was set to its dynamic mode. This means that the contrast was set way to high. Set every thing to about halfway or just above for the run in time, and then use some thing like digital video essentials on DVD to set the levels properly after this.
    I only waited about 100hrs before I set mine up and have had no problems with screen burn or image retention :)

6. rich_b

rich_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where can I find this DVD Essentials disc you mention? I tried looking on the net but all I could find was something on Amazon about making home movies.

7. Colonel Burton

Colonel Burton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
  8. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Or try amazon.co.uk.
    That is where I got mine from. just go to their dvd section and search for digital video essentials. :)