1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Running in new speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mhuk05, Mar 3, 2005.

1. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    Have just got some new speakers. The "guide" says you can place them face to face and run one speaker out of phase. I'm doing this now with a Ramones CD set to infinite repeat until Monday.

Will this work and does it matter what you play?

Cheers :hiya:

2. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are these the Genies? Just got these and the guide advises same. I'm intrigued by why out of phase will speed up running in (extra force on cone because as it moves back it's being 'pushed' by air from its partner moving forward?).

Very impressed so far. Sub 'auto' seems hit and miss so I just leave it on. The sub set-up CD created some extraordinary resonances around the house!

Not sure about setting the crossover frequency at rear of sub since it's also set on the receiver (AVR 2805). Maybe leave at the highest 200Hz setting and leave receiver to sort it out, or wind it round to estimated point between the 50 and 200Hz points to represent the 95Hz lower limit of the sats?

3. severnsource

severnsource

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Wiring them out of phase while facing each other reduces the row they make - the output of one speaker acoustically cancels the other, at low frequencies anyway.

FWIW there is no credible evidence that running speakers in does anything whatsoever.

Bill

4. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Just run-in speakers the old-fashioned way with some loud-ish music, always worked for me

5. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    Not Genies, they're 906's. I'm not playing loud music for 36 hours! I do like the house to be silent when I'm in bed ;)

Out of phase & face to face: they're much quieter than the center (also running in).

:)

6. markymark34

markymark34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +327
    would have to disagree with you severnsource with regards running in speakers. I find its absolutely essential especially with high end speakers. The difference can be quite marked, speakers that are at first rather difficult to listen to take on new characteristics after they are run in.
    When i first started working in a hifi shop we got a set of Castle speakers in (cant remember the model) I didnt like them at all (Eagles greatest hits played) but after a good overnight run in they sounded fantastic (even with the eagles being played!)

Anyway run them in mhuk and give us your opinion

mark

7. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    100 hours normally does the trick ;)

8. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    Started playing last night, so they've done about 18hrs so far. I'm away all weekend so they should have 100 hours by Monday morning ;)

9. ReggieDaMole

ReggieDaMole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    surely if speakers needed to be run in to sound their best they would do it at the manufacturers. If they sent them to the outlets not sounding anywhere near their potential, people would be less likely buy them when demoed.

10. severnsource

severnsource

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Would you care to provide the credible evidence to support your claim?

If I were to buy "high-end", i.e. very expensive, speakers I would expect the manufacturer to sell them to me in a properly functional state. If they did need "running in", they would not have been sold in a fully working state, and I would consider that I had been ripped off.

If all that is needed to run them in is a few hours of operation then that is something that could and should be done before they leave the makers premises.

The fact that they aren't implies that the makers know that it is a completely pointless exercise.

Bill

11. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    Then why do said manufacturers tell you run them in?

If music shops played all speakers for 100hrs before selling they'd be ex-demo and not brand new.

Any comment from any speaker manufacturer employees who use the forum?

12. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can guarantee that most speakers do take a running in period to reach their best. It takes time for the drivers and tweeters to loosen up and bed in properly. My 906s for example were quite 'harsh' sounding with high frequencies when I first got them. Now they are run in they deliver a much warmer , nicer sound.

mhuk,

how are you getting on with your 906s? What do you think? Have you got a full speaker setup now?

13. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    :D ha ha ha

Yes, have a full set-up (bar the 903's).: 906's, 905C, spare pair of 902's for when I go 7.1 and a Velodyne VX10 (too cheap to passup- may upgrade to BK or SVS later).

But... they and the tv don't quite fit into the lounge alcove so will have to move it all to the other alcove. As I don't want to cut the speaker cable without finalising the position (last option is the bay window but will have to demolish the window seat!) I have yet to plug it all together :(

Away for the weekend so it will have to wait for after-work sessions next week.
    I hope they sound as good as they sound!

Now what to play when christening the system? Matrix?

14. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I've never found that running in a loudspeaker made any difference to the sound. It's pseudo Science IMHO but as it's free to do and harmless it's an irrelevant point to argue over, just use the speakers as that's what they're for.

15. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    I'd have to disagree with you there. From my experience I definitely felt my speakers improve over the first month I had them. I don't know the science behind it, it's just what my ears told me!

16. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Running in applies to many mechnical porducts including cars! A speaker at the end of the day consists moving parts, which when new are not working at their optimal. Most speaker manufacturers recomend running them in.

17. thelordmagus

thelordmagus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I must agree. I bought a couple of gale gold monitors. I was very disappointed a t first but after a couple of weeks they finally sounded good. I really thought I'd return them to the shop first, but now I'm happy with them.

18. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    From Monitor Audio website:

Mordaunt Short:

PMC:

Black Magic

19. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I've tested the 'theory' twice now, where I've used one of a pair of speakers as a centre channel and the other has been in the loft for a year or so. Before selling them on I've checked both speakers work and have not heard any difference between the used and unused speaker.

As I said, it's not costing anyone anything but time, if you wish to go through a 'running in' period rather than enjoying the speakers from the start it's up to you.

BTW I'm glad I've never bought Monitor Audio: 24 hour, 5 Day running in before they work correctly :rolleyes:

20. markymark34

markymark34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +327
    the only evidence i personally can provide is that as i said before i worked in a hifi shop for over a year where the owner had been a hifi fanatic for 35 years, he wouldnt even demo the new speakers he received until he had run them in. Usually out of phase pointing at each other with a large duvet over the top!

I could definately tell a difference in sound quality when they were run in over a fri night.

But its all a personal thing. My girlfriend says she cant tell any difference in picture quality between my 32" tosh set(£700) and her 28" Bush set!(£180)

On the note of cars needing run in quite true. The Mk2 golf gti was notorious for needing 50,000 miles plus before its best performance was achieved.

21. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    Somewhere, I've got on VHS an old Top Gear where they ran a MKII Golf Gti with 60K on the clock vs a new one (or maybe a MKIII) and the old one left the new one for dead.

It costs nothing to "run in" speakers, so I'm doing it. There's no real way to can provide evidence for such a subjective subject, especially as it's taken over a few days: how can you remember what a sound track really sounded like 100 hours ago?

Any MS or other speaker employees care to comment (I know there are a few here!)?

:cool:

22. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,784
    Who am I ? Where am I ?
    oh yeah
    I am just starting to recover from Markymarks comments about speakers that made the Eagles sound good

23. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    :rotfl: :rotfl: Magic speakers?!

24. markymark34

markymark34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +327
    ok i agree that was pushing things too far!
    we'll pretend i never mentioned the eagles! wheres that edit button

Id love to see that video mhuk05! :smashin:

25. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    I'm just setting up a new PC to do vhs to dvd- drop me a PM and I'll see if I can find the tape :) Might take a few weeks... ;)