Running in a TH42PE50

N

nath69uk

I'm sorry for all the regulars who have come across this question so many times but hey its gotta be done.

Thats right on arrival of my new TV tomorrow I wanna try and get everything in order so the setup can go as smoothly as possible. Firstly i'm gunna take a seat and think for five minutes how wonderfull Eastenders is now going to be.... Then i'm gunna take it out and set it all up on the stand and my dvd player plugged in. I was thinking of doing what everyone else has done. Turning brightness down to below 50 and adjusting contrast so its a half decent picture. Also what preset setting does it need to be in normal?

Any other suggestions on setting this screen up for running in would be appreciated.

Also for now I'm gunna use a cheapo scart for my dvd player to screen, in the future I want to upgrade this. Am I right in saying I should be looking for buying a Component cable? I've seen some of these for £60-£70-£100+ however how much difference will a £18 one be from this cheapo scart lead?

Thanks in advance.

Peace Out
Nath

Good luck tomorrow. I'm interested to hear the answer to your question, and I'm also interested to hear how you get on with things tomorrow - keep us informed!

You're using Lets Go Digital, right?

I wonder if they'll help me get my TV up two flights of stairs? I'm buying a 2nd floor apartment. If they don't help me then I'll be left in a pickle :D Do me a favour and ask them what they'd do in that situation?! Cheers mate!!

Yes I'm using letsgodigital and on there site it states that they are not insured to carry the item into your house on there own if over 35Kg. Something like this anyways, I was hoping I had some answers to whats needed to be done to get the ball running for perfect picture TV. :D

*EDIT*

IMPORTANT

Our courier company is not insured to enter your house/premises and will therefore require your assistance in handling any item in excess of 30 kgs. This includes some Home Cinema systems, LCD and Plasma Televisions.

*EDIT*

Come on guys its gunna be here soon, just wanna make sure I've got everything right from the start.

I find it rather alarming that the manufacturer themselves wouldn’t enclose some documentation to ensure that you run it in correctly. Why should the buyer have to resort to asking for help on a message board? What about the other 90% of buyers who wouldn’t think about asking for people’s help regarding this subject?

Indeed, I find it even more alarming that they can’t ensure that it doesn’t get image retention/screen burn in the first place. Can’t they “run it in” before they release it to the public?

just put it in cinema mode and reduce the brightness and contrast to about 45% for the first 200 hrs .
after the 200 hrs you can either use cinema or standard ( do not use dynamic mode ) and adjust the settings to what you like :thumbsup:

Never! It looks horrid.

I'd buy a good scart if you're going to use sky at all and then get a decent component for your DVD assuming that it has component out - but remember that component doesn't carry any sound signals so you will either need to get 2 phonos to 2 phonos from your dvd to your tv audio in.

Hey there Nath69uk - my TH42PE50 with the cabinet stand arrived an hour ago from JLP.

I'm just downloading the latest software update just now which is why I have a minute free to write this. I'm 42 years old but it feels like christmas when I was a kid; so excited and absolutely blown away so far. I can't remember it being quite so big in the shop though!

All the best and enjoy your new toy.

billym,

What's this software update, what does it do and where can I download it?

Ruby,

you need to be plugged into a decent signal (I think be in a freeview broadcast area). Mine came on one afternoon and I had the message stated that new software had been found and that it would take approx 20 mins to download & install.

It corrects a couple of problems such as teletext not working on some channels and problems when changing from one channel to another. It is basically an update to their software.

Yeah shes here an bloody lovely, I opted to o the update at a later stage. All plugged in and on now dvd hdd recorder is brilliant. Also I have yet to find the picture in picture option. Does it even have one?

Don't know; wouldn't really use that anyway. Glad you're happy with it Nath - I am absolutely blown away by the picture quality. It's nice that our babies share a birthday too :thumbsup:

Had my th42pe50 for over 3 weeks now and the picture just keeps getting better and better. :thumbsup:

I'm using component from my prog dvd player to the screen and it looks amazing.

Watch 'The fellowship of the ring' where they're in the shire, its fantastic, then watch it again in two weeks, you will be blown away. :rotfl:

It only has picture in picture for teletext.

Take it easy in run, i didn't.

I watched all the first series of lost (and the first 3 of series 2)with the ABC logo in the corner, no image retention at all. Thats about 18 hours!! :eek:

I personally think that the xbox looks better through dynamic mode. Until anyone gives me better settings thats how its staying. My mates came round to play pro evo and where blown away by the screen. - set your xbox to 60 hz looks great even over scart.

Hey billy m i'm 34 and i'ts been christmas everyday since i've had this plasma. :smashin:

Good good good. Ive just turned the contrast right down and the brightness put it in normal mode and thats it. left running on normal TV channel, to pass by some of those damn hours. Front room still isn't complete yet thats why I'n not actually watching it yet. I suppose by the time its completed the 200hrs would have been n gone
lol

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom