1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'running in ' a subwoofer ?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by jonnyv, Apr 12, 2002.

1. jonnyv

jonnyv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Buying a new subwoofer today..the paradigm pdr10 from richersounds, Whats the best way to run the speaker in, as it dosnt get much use as i only use it when watching dvd's.

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Initially dont run it at loud volume levels, just play music and movies thru it and after a couple of weeks it will settle down and perform better. You may have to readjust the bass level as well.

3. Rigid

Rigid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agree with Jase. Don't even think about fine-tuning it for the first fortnight. I nearly drove myself mad jumping out of my chair every few minutes to adjust my REL Q50 in its first couple of weeks. Eventually it settled down and now I never touch it (even to turn it on/off).

4. baileych

baileych
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I remember that: I bought my REL Q150E last year and thought I could just listen to the THX tests on T2 once or twice and have it set up great in a few minutes. How wrong! With high and low level inputs and the high level input crossover to fiddle with it was up every few moments, tweak, sit down, skip back on the DVD listen again... I was sort of running in my ability to hear and understand the bass and sub-bass frequencies at the same time as my REL. By the time I had my settings done (about a month and a half) I think my REL was pretty much run in anyway.

Eventually, I had it perfect. Then I upgraded my amp. I thought I could use the same settings (after all it was being used with the same speakers and in the same place). No! Either the frequency response of the new Arcam was different to the old Denon or something else and the settings sounded bad again. (It sounded like I'd lost a lot of bass.) Start tuning all over again :rolleyes:.

Finally perfect again! Then I read about the benefits of trying the sub in different places. This and 'domestic bliss' caused me to try a superior location. Start again! :rolleyes:

Add to this the fact that I find tuning a sub (with ot without SPL and test discs) the most difficult thing ever - it takes me ages of listening to hear whether any small tweak I've made has made a difference and whether it's any better. Then, with a different source, the tweak turns out to be worse and off I go again. :rolleyes:

Surely it must be easier?

Charles.

5. Rigid

Rigid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, you really are at the mercy of the sound recording engineer. I try to resisit altering settings just for one DVD - that way madness lies. I tend to have my own reference DVD which I try to get spot on: the opening scene of Toy Story 2 is my current favourite. If that sounds good then whatever else happens, I know it's not the sub. I suppose an AV amp with an adjustable sub output level would be useful since you could make a small change from your armchair via the remote and just set it back after the film.