1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Running-In a Subwoofer?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by DaveTee, Apr 9, 2001.

1. DaveTee

DaveTee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Running-In a Subwoofer?

I recently bought Yamaha YST-SW160 and the guy in the hi-fi shop told me that all Subs have to be run-in for 48 hours, I’ve never heard of this and told the guy this but he was quite insistent.

Have you ever heard of this running-in business or was the guy trying to be a smart A**?

DaveTee

2. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Similar thread to this here.

I would say yes it does need some running in, as would all subs (more so than aluminium dome tweeters anyway). As for '48 hours'..... maybe more, maybe less. Just use it day to day, no need to set aside a specific running in period.

3. Jagular

Jagular

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    <STRONG>
    DaveTee,
    I'm usually very sceptical about this kind of talk, and having proved various cable claims were scams I felt that this running in period to be the same.
    I built myself an IPL Subwoofer kit a little while ago after first deciding to take ‘before and after’ SPL readings. To my surprise, after two weeks of normal listening the fullness and depth had increased to such a point I wondered if my need for Bass had matured as the Bass had now become boomy and fat.
    After taking further measurements to investigate, ‘low and behold’ my ears were right, the volume and depth had increased. Readjusting the volume and cut-off levels resulted in an even more relaxed and tighter sound than I’d experienced before! Incredible!
    Rob.
    </STRONG>
    ;)

4. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    i don't know about 48 hrs. But i know that ALL speakers need to be run in.
    And especcially a Subwoofer which is very stiff.
    I will say that after the speaker s are run in..it will be a huge improvement as the speakers will get more supple.

That's why listening to a brand new subwoofer is not a good idea.
    It's best to listen to a demo Sub to know how your sub will eventually sound like.
    Teh speaker is very stiff and is not that well run in yet.Playing it at loud volume can very well damage it.
    A frend of mind run in his brand new speakers by playing on a low volume for at least 48 hours straight. He's a Nutt...but this way he'll be sure that it's well run in.

The way i can best explain it is by comparing speakers to a car. A good run in is important to how it will work and it's longevity.

5. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,979
    Subs definately need time to run in.

My Rel Storm has been running in for six months and as jag said the bass improves during that period.

A tip would be to run it at lower than normal volumes,this will protect the driver.After a period of time say 4 hours use a day for 2 weeks gently increase the volume levels.Whatever you do dont go for full blown high volume straight away or you will cause damage!

Have fun! :D

6. Koen

Koen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,
    I bought a REL q50 last friday, and it has been running since sunday evening , about 10 hours a day. Do I still have to be carefull with the volume ? REL says 24 hours of carefull use is advised, but what is carefull ? It did give the huge improvement I was after and it makes no humming whatsoever, but I'd luke to try it's limits, see what it can do. It has that SET-SAFE thing, to avoid damage, so doesn't that work for the first 24 hours or what ?
    Thanks in advance, REL rules.

koen :rolleyes: