Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Running in a Plasma Screen

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Phil_Yeoman, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Phil_Yeoman

Phil_Yeoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

I have, for the last couple of weeks been away on business and the trusty AV equipment has been left in the hand of my girlfriend. When I left we had had the samsung screen for only a couple of days and although the picture was quite acceptable it still had the noticable colour banding which plauge this technology.

I arived home on Friday and settled down to watch some tv before retiring into the HT to watch a couple of DVD's. The first thing that struck me was that the overall picture seemed much cleaner than when I left. Upon furthur investigation the banding had all but disappeared and the contrast was much better. At first I thought that maybe the signal from sky had improved so I played back some prerecorded stuff from TIVO which had been recorded before I left, the picture remained clean.

The question here is do plasma screens benefit from a period of running in? I have been doing this for years with amps and speakers but never thought that display equipment would benefit from such an approach

Phil

2. Fred

Fred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, you need to run it for 50 continuous hours when you first switch it on to move the gases around and the picture will get alot better over time.

3. MARTIN TURNER

MARTIN TURNER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have noticed the exact same thing with my samsung, it was delivered around the middle of december and for the first 10 days i couldnt stop fiddling with the settings. but the last few days i have noticed a big difference, even on the vast green spaces of football pitches that was driving me mad at first.

4. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +534
    I agree, but found using "Shell Optimax Plasma" in my screen gave the best pictures i have ever seen!.:devil:

Send me a £100 cheque written out to "Children Are So Honest" fund, or "CASH" for short, and i will send you a canister and instructions on how to fill your plasma screen etc.

:D :p :D :p :D

5. KBDVD

KBDVD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Phil,

Come on mate, just face it, your girlfriend has simply proved to be better at adjusting the picture settings on your plasma in order to obtain an "optimum" image! (And this with only one hand too!)
    :D :D :D

After all, you know how wonderfully adept women are with new technology. This, together with their interest and appreciation for all aspects of Home Cinema, and their willingness to embrace and welcome this equipment into their homes means that us poor blokes really cannot compete with them in this regard!

.......Yeah Right!

So to summarise then: I saw the same thing with my previous screen (NEC 42MP2) and firmly believe that the picture on that did in fact improve with use and become more stable. It could of course just be that we become more used to the image and also stop looking for faults, but I do think that at least some of the percieved improvement is real.

I hope to experience the same effect with my new Panny TH-50PHW5BX. Mind you, the PQ on this panel is already excellent right out of the box so any improvement will just be a bonus!

Best Regards,
    KBDVD.