1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Running in a Panny W6

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Omar, May 16, 2004.

1. Omar

Omar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I recently purchased the Panny W6 and am using it with Sky and DVD.

I have connected the sky via a RGB to YUV converter in to the AMP and have gone YUV to YUV for the DVD to AMp also. Finally I have gone YUV to VGA from AMP to Plasma.

Now that you know the system i am running what should I be aware of in the first few hours of use ? I understand that you need to run them in ? Is that correct ? If so what setting should I be aware of ?

Also dont know If I have got things connected correctly but watching films via DVD looks great, watching Sky and in particular the footy I am not impressed with the picture at all - There seems to be elements of ghosting and the picture generally does not look good.

Anyone with some ideas ? I know these plasmas seem to be a favourite on these boards so can anyone help / has expeirenced the same issues ? :lease:

Cheers in advance.

2. macdaddy

macdaddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I decided rightly or wrongly to ignore my amps video facilities and connected all my boxes directly to the plasma. For Sky+ I've used the JS Tech RGB to VGA Box and am delighted with the results.

I watch loads of footy and am really pleased with the PQ. The only downside I can see is that I have to switch the inputs of the plasma manually when I change sources - I don't think that's too much of a sacrifice to make in order to achieve the best PQ possible.

Good luck!!

3. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I too have just got a Panny PW6. However, I'm a bit stupid about this whole running in thing...while I don't put any 2:35:1 movies on at the moment, i've been running a couple of 1:85:1's! I've not lowered my contrast and brightness, cuz when i do...the picture just don't look as good :( ....It's so tempting to put it on my dynamic settings! Surely if i'm being careful and only watching 1:85:1 movies at the moment, I don't need to put the contrast down??? I'll refrain from connecting my TV box to it till 200 hours has passed! By the way, how the hell do i find out on the Panny PW6B? I can only get the hidden menu to work, not he other one!

I also agree macdaddy, I've always found switching boxes etc to be a real pain in the ass. Even the smallest quality drop, I can't justify!

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Other than the contrast being high enough to cause burns, I have never seen a tv of any kind that looks right with the contrast at default. They are almost always setup that default will give a punchy picture to attract punters in a showroom.... that does not also mean it will be a good picture. Have you checked out the picture with a test disc? If you need the contrast high then maybe something else is set wrong

ad

5. Omar

Omar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks fo the replies, although no one has really answered my questions.

On further question from myself however - what is a test disc and how do i get one ??

Thanks

6. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ok, so i have lowered it slightly, i've got mine on 14 at the mo and it looks pretty good. When you turn the limit on, the picture looks a bit bland!

7. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Have to say I think dynamic is WAY to bright and exaggerated, unless it's football. I use Cinema setting, but lower brightness to 0, I find this ideal for movies and also makes sure the blacks are actually black.

8. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hmmm, dunno...all the people in my family thought the dynamic looked better too. Maybe its the way i've set up my dvd player too. Btw, is there any setup discs that account for dvd player settings too? Like Noise reduction etc? the THX optimode only goes for screen settings!

9. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    I think the best set up discs are Avia or DVE, I have never used them yet, I still believe in most cases setting up through experimentation and by eyes can get a closely calibrated system for the real world. Also I turn off all AI and noise reduction facilities on my DVD player as they don't really show an improvement usually.

10. phfjones

phfjones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting stuff!

I am due to take dleivery next week of my PW6. Is there a general consensus for what is the best settings for Sky plus.

Maybe if you guys could be kind enough to post what you are happy with, and we could all see if there is a pattern?

Worth a go??

11. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    AVIA is my fave consumer type test disc and I reall think it is indespensible. If you spend any amount of money on a display, you must have a disc like this because you are wasting the performance of your display otherwise. It may seem that you can get close with your own eyes, but I suggest you are stil likely a distance away unless you have very experienced eyes (I use AVIA regularly and have for years and still wouldnt be without). The other thing to note is that there are more advanced tests on AVIA that you just cannot set with eyes alone....

ad

12. Omar

Omar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Wherer can i get an Avia disc from ?

Cheers

13. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    have a look in the powerbuy section

ad

14. nickc

nickc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Omar, I ran mine in with contrast at -2, brightness at 0. Once run run-in the cinema setting (brightness down a bit) looks good IMHO.

15. Omar

Omar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Thanks for that so are you using the normal settings with Contrast at -2 and brightness at 0 ? Or is that in cinema mode ??

16. nickc

nickc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When mine was new i had it on Normal with the contrast set to -2. After 200 hours I put it on Cinema and just turned the brightness down to 2.

17. Omar

Omar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have now done that - Thanks

What I have noticed is that my picture for Sky Footy is Cack !!

I am worried as I only have sky for the footy ! The picture seemed so much better with my 36" CRT ??

Whats going on :rolleyes:

18. nickc

nickc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not into footy so I dont watch many matches however the Rugby World Cup looked pretty good.

I'm on NTL cable and connect RGB to VGA using one of JS Technologies excellent boxes.

cheers,

19. Omar

Omar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As said I use sky and alos use a JS box for RGB to YUV as I use my AV receiver to connect my SKy and DVD to the Plasma !

20. Ancillotti

Ancillotti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have read many a time on these forums that you need to lower brightness and contrast for the first 100-200 hours in order to properly run-in the screen. However I have also been told that putting these settings up to a sensible level will burn the first layer of phosphor quicker, thus reducing the 100-200hours run-in time. Is this true and safe to do? :confused:

21. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This sort of thing seems to be generally tough to display..... even those with expensive video processors will complain about football or sports..... it just seems to me that it needs money and time to test to get it right....

ad