Running Hue LightStrip from lighting circuit

bashsv

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I currently have under cabinet LED's in the kitchen powered from the lighting circuit. Has anyone modified the Hue LightStrip to run from the lighting circuit rather than using a mains socket?

Hi,

I currently have under cabinet LED's in the kitchen powered from the lighting circuit. Has anyone modified the Hue LightStrip to run from the lighting circuit rather than using a mains socket?
The Hue Lightstrip MUST be permanently powered on.
Do your current lights have they're own light switch?

The Hue Lightstrip MUST be permanently powered on.
Do your current lights have they're own light switch?
They do have their own light switch, I'm going to cover this (leaving it on) and use a Hue dimmer switch to control them.

I have more or less the same question. Want to use HUE lightstrips in a new wine cellar, but don't want to have to plug the strips' power supplies into sockets. The power supply clearly include a transformer, so I need to source a transformer that can be wired into a suitable main circuit and always be powered on and then wire the strips into that.

I think this is basically the same question you have. So, a second appeal for ideas......

I have more or less the same question. Want to use HUE lightstrips in a new wine cellar, but don't want to have to plug the strips' power supplies into sockets. The power supply clearly include a transformer, so I need to source a transformer that can be wired into a suitable main circuit and always be powered on and then wire the strips into that.

I think this is basically the same question you have. So, a second appeal for ideas......

This is the spec of the transformer.....

IMG_1846.jpg

Something like this would do what you need (click me)
FL1808.JPG

Brilliant. Thanks Bryn. Do you know how he connections work on this - will I need to solder in the strips? I’m a bit of a novice when it comes to this sort of thing.

Thanks.

Sorry can't help on that one as I don't use the Hue light strip so not sure what connection is needed, all I did was match the power requirements to what you were asking for, should be fairly straight forward though, if you are not to comfortable then I would strongly advise you to seek the help of a qualified sparky just to be completely safe :)

From memory the light strip connects to the power supply by 12v plug so you would need to wire the appropriate female connector into the transformer. There is probaly a polrity you would need to observe as well, but this is not my area of expertise

Thanks guys. Sounds like I need to just buy it and try it - how hard can it be? :)

Success! I bought the transformer recommended above by Bryn1 (thanks again!). Pilfered a 3 pin plug and cable from an old dvd player and wired into the transformer. Chopped the power supply off the the Hue lightstrip and connected the strip into the dc side of the transformer (noting that the Hue power cable is twin core and the side with the dashed grey line is +ve). All I need now is to get the spark to wire it into the light circuit with a switch and away we go.
Just need to try adding a second and third strip as I need a longer run.

Interesting picture. It actually looks like it would be relatively easy for Philips to supply a 3rd snap on accessory with terminals alongside the existing 2 plug things.

Probably. But I don’t think they’re in the business of making things easier for people. Everything they do seems to be designed to prevent use of readily available stuff. 6 strand cabling v 4 strand, 24v vs 12v etc. Keeping prices up.

I've been looking at doing something similar and posted about my overall project in this thread. (Question - Kitchen lighting project).
Mickv, I appreciate yours was for a wine cellar but given you have hard wired this in now, how are you controlling it? Via an Echo Dot or movement sensor, or by other means?

Sorry - only just sent your post.

Haven’t sorted it yet so above was just to establish how to do it. But when cellar is finished off I’m intending to get spark to hard wire as above but to include a traditional wall switch - easy as already have up down and off switch for the trapdoor actuator so just need to pull another cable and add switch next to that. That gives ability to power off strips completely. Then I’ll leave it switched on and control with Echo Dot.

Thanks Mickv, so probably not quite the same scenario that I am looking at. I had wondered about using something like an emergency test switch
Any thoughts? Or any advice from electricians about this?

Last edited:
The link to your test switch doe s not work so difficult to tell

With this transformer can you only run 1 strip of it?. Just had 3 strips fitted in my new kitchen and just run off sockets so if I could tidy it up but using one of these that would be far better

With this transformer can you only run 1 strip of it?. Just had 3 strips fitted in my new kitchen and just run off sockets so if I could tidy it up but using one of these that would be far better

Yes you can. I tried it with 2 strips and it worked, seemingly exactly as for one. But it must depend on max load rating of transformer I think. And if you your transformer goes pop you loose all your lights at once.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom