Question Running HDMI cables in wall - future proofing

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by ash, May 16, 2019.

1. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +396
    Hi - will be running some HDMI cables into my wall which will be wallpapered and / or plastered over. Theoretically should be able to add more wires in the future if builder does a good job, but just incase I can't, I wanted to run 2 or 3 HDMI cables through the wall.

Wire only needs to be 3.5 metres (but that's not such a common size so 4 metres). Question is what's the latest / best spec so I can future proof for 4K and all of its iterations.

Bit budget conscious here so looking at ~£10 cables if feasible. Any recommendations for specific wire?

2. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,388
    While you're channeling the wall could you make the channel in the wall a smidgeon bigger? Much better to have a larger conduit you could draw a new cable through. My usual strategy is include a spare length of unterminated Cat 5e cable, I can then either use the ethernet eable to pull through a new cable or even stick some terminals on the end and use it for its intended purpose.

As far as cables go the "best" you can get are ones that have "premium certification"

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,544
    Future Proof - follow Jamies advice and add a suitable conduit plus draw wire.

'Premium High Speed' HDMI cables at 4m cover you for all current 4K source devices.

The New 'Ultra High Speed' certification covers 8K capable cables (so gives you some additional 'future proofing') though copper cables are going to be very short (<3m) unless you consider the next generation of Hybrid Fibre HDMI which are on the way at longer lengths.

HDMI :: Manufacturer :: HDMI 1.4 :: Finding the Right Cable

Joe

4. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,388
    Cheers Joe. I'd forgotten about the new Ultra nonsense.

5. Otto Pylot

Otto Pylot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Just a bit of clarification. Ultra High Speed HDMI cables (48Gbps) are not certified like Premium High Speed HDMI cables (18Gbps), at least not yet. HDMI.org, at this point in time, does not allow for active cables to be certified and labeled with the QR label for authenticity. As Joe pointed out, the copper-based cables may be limited to a maximum length of 3m or less for HDMI 2.1 (as specified in the specifications). A hybrid fiber cable, which is active, is what is probably going to be needed for the HDMI 2.1 specifications at lengths longer than 3m.