1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Running cables

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Pip_UK, May 3, 2002.

1. Pip_UK

Pip_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This may sound like common sense but I didn't think of it until a mate suggested it to me

I bought a new video lead for my projector (RGB syncblaster 10m cable for the Sony 11HT). I had decided to conceal it in the wall and ceiling so it looked better. I was going to chisel a channel up the walls and across the ceiling.

My mate suggested drilling small holes in the ceiling every 3 foot and thread a piece of string on an extended wire coat hanger ... yes it was difficult and it took an hour ... but once done I was able to pull the cable across the ceiling with very little plastering (you cannot even see the holes if your a reasonabley competent with Polyfilla.

If you attempt to do this make sure your ceiling rafters are running the right way and there are no cross beams in your path

Pip:p

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I would suggest putting a smallish hole (fist sized) at the source and end of your cable run and using some sort of flexi tube to be pushed through from one end. Tape you cable to the end and pull it through.

We use this technique at work loads, it's so easy.

Still not as easy as taking own the whole ceiling and wiring everything first mind... :)

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would just take up the floor boards above......then you have no filling to do, only need a quick half hour from the carpet layer!

ad

4. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    If only life were that easy always Buns!

:)

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It is! its easier actually......its the roof space above me......so no carpet to worry about!

:D

ad